1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TJ Simers' first column for the OC Register

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Sep 19, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Along with the accusations as it related to the Angels.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And now he's suing the LA Times:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/16/t-j-simers-sues-the-los-angeles-times/

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

So, he lied then.

How can he sue for wrongful termination, when he told the Big Lead he left the Times willingly?

"I had the opportunity to remain at the Times as Page 2 columnist, including a recent offer of a guaranteed contract."

http://thebiglead.com/2013/09/10/tj-simers-tells-us-why-hes-leaving-the-la-times/

4. CNY

CNY Member

LAT article frames it as a discrimination lawsuit, not wrongful termination:
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-times-sued-by-former-sports-writer-tj-simers-20131016,0,6176163.story

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Mark Blaudschun will comment on behalf of the LAT.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Newspapers "rearrange the furniture" all the time and few if any newsroom employees have much recourse.

LA Times should have just assigned Simers to cover preps, without a pay cut. And if he didn't do it properly, then they could have fired him for cause.

As it is, offering someone a one-year contract to continue doing his job sounds like a pretty good defense. Sounds like an ambulance chaser, pushing the age and ailment stuff. Man up!

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

None of this makes sense; certainly none of the claims TJ is making.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2013/10/tj_simers_sues_la_times_a.php

8. Joe Williams

If Simers is doing this to needle the Times and be a nuisance to them the way they paid him for being a nuisance to so many on the L.A. sports scene, that might make some sense.

Otherwise, it's pretty weenie for the wise-guy columnist to go whiny in a money grab. Wonder if the OCR is having any second thoughts, thinking about its exit strategy with Simers and when a lawsuit would come their way too.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I hadn't considered that. I was more wondering if the suit makes it appear to the public that he views the OCR as a step down when the owner is pumping in a lot of money to create the opposite impression in Southern California and beyond. Lots of people over the years have left larger newspapers to go there; I did once, a couple decades ago.

10. Joe Williams

It's a good point, Frank. You break up with one girlfriend to start dating another, you don't want to be slinging arrows at the one you left or it will look like you really haven't gotten over it. Take a new job and look backwards via a lawsuit, it undercuts the notion that you've taken a step up in the world and are the winner in the split.

I just know that people who sue employers generally have harder times lining up new employers. Even the most competitive businesses rarely like having employees who are engaged in litigation with their competition.

T.J.'s image long has been that of the sportswriter-gunslinger. Gunslingers running to lawyers to fight for them? It's out of whack.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

To me, it sounds like Simers wants to grind/hurt the LA Times as much as he can. Look at his work, he doesn't let go of a grudge too easily.

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

T.J. is not far from retirement. Maybe he gets enough money in a settlement to retire right away, or at least to consider it. But this would be different if he were counting on writing for the Register for another 20 years. That's not the case.

Draft saved Draft deleted