1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TJ Simers: Dodgers trainer rescued me following stroke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Mar 19, 2013.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Figured this was more a news story than a journalism one:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-simers-20130319,0,750886.column

2. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Had a team trainer come to my aid when I tried to cover a game with a stomach virus once. Filed my story, called to confirm, stood up and passed out from dehydration. Luckily, said trainer was only a few yards away. When I came around, she explained to me what had happened, called my wife, and got me sent to the hospital.

That was the day I learned why football players get IVs on hot days. I went from a twitching mass to being able to walk out of the ER in a span of a couple bags.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My mom was visiting me and fell and broke her ankle really badly and was going to require surgery.

The next day I was at practice and the coach who I covered came over and said, "Hey, (PR guy) told me about your mom... I'm really sorry..." and we had a casual conversation about it...

That night I got a call that the team doctor (very well-known) would do the surgery the next morning. My jaw hit the floor...

It was just one of those things that I'll never forget... It was just such a cool thing to do...

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

great story, miizzoo!!

mine: early october 2001; walking from hotel to stadium with a couple of other scribes to do column on giants vs rams. end up falling on left ankle about a half-block from press entrance. buddies go straight to giants locker room. trainer ronnie barnes he drives out motorized flat-bed, takes me right to X-ray next to locker room in bowels of stadium -- broken ankld (tibia?) team dand gm ernie accorsi octor russ warren says will likely require surgery, for plate and screws, the whole shebang... co-owner john mara and gm ernie accorsu tell me to watch game in locker room and tells me not to sweat getting home, that i'd fly back on team charter, bus with team to giants stadium and that a car would be there to pick me up and drive me home to long island (thank gawd it was a 1 p.m. game, so i arrived home at a reasonable hour...

monday morning my wife drove me to offices of jets' team docs. orthopedic surgeon does surgery that friday; i spent all season on i.r. it was just the beginning of my demise 'cause my m.s, really started to take over during my recovery. but that's another story. point is giants came up aces for me. what's worse than getting hurt on a road trip? it could've been a logistical nightmare...

Draft saved Draft deleted