1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TIVO with DirecTV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lester Bangs, Nov 6, 2006.

1. I think it just means it lacks one button to skip 30 seconds ahead. All Tivos have that, but you need to enable it yourself with a backdoor code. (Select-play-select-3-0-select).

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You shouldn't need to dig another trench in your back yard even if you need two lines running to your TV. The DirecTV guy who told you that is full of shit. If that was true, you'd need a line running to your house for every single receiver you have. We have DirecTV service with receivers three TVs. We have one line running to the house. The line is then split to the three rooms the TVs are in.

You'll need to have a second line split to your TV but you shouldn't have to lay more cable in the yard.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

what? i didn't know about this. are there other backdoor codes i should be aware of? i just hold down my fast forward button.

that said, if DVRS (TiVo or others) lose the ability to fast forward commercials sales will plummet. they're still more convenient than the old VCR method or rewritable DVDs but more than half the benefit is to skip the ads. still, i can see why advertisers would not be happy and might put heavy pressure on networks to make shows un-DVR-able (not sure if this is possible but i envision it being possible at some point) which would then put pressure on the DVR makers.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Mine works fine as well. But they were saying the new series TiVos won't allow you to FF through commercials.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

If you don't have the phone plugged in, you won't get any of the "upgrades" they periodically do to the system. Plus, you'll have 1,000 messages saying a connection couldn't be made, which can slow down your system (in terms of how long it takes for the menu to come up or record a show). At least that's what I've found when it's happened to me.

Also, with the new Directv ones ... at least for HD ... it will require a new dish since those will operate at MPEG-4 not MPEG-2, which will also allow you to get the HD local channels. Waiting here for them to make me an offer (they supposedly will switch out your dish for free and charge $99 to swap the Tivo HD receiver for a Directv one).

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

That's ridiculous that you would have to dig a trench to get a DirectTV DVR.
    I just got a DVR for my DISH Network satellite and it was as simple as the guy unhooking my old box, plugging up the new box and programming it.
    I think the DirectTV people are feeding you a line of crap.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Having used both, I'd say people claiming cable/satellite DVRs are as good as TiVos are full of crap. The TiVo interface and software are superior. There's a reason Comcast is moving toward licensing the TiVo software for use in their own DVRs.

Regarding fast forwarding through commercials -- any DVR can fast forward. If I'm not mistaken, only TiVos can be programmed to enable the 30-second skip function.

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Leo, try here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=122090&highlight=Backdoor+Codes

Lots of stuff...some apply to DirecTivo some do not

10. somewriter

somewriter Member

The DVR is a dual-tuner and you will need two inputs to have the full functionality (that is, being able to watch one program and record another). Whether you need a trench depends on if/where DirecTV installed their switch - it's either near the dish or near your house. If it's near the dish, they would have to find another way to run a wire to your house or dig up the original wire and replace it and move the switch to your house. If the switch is near your house, this should not be an issue. Or if you do not want the dual-tuner functionality, you can just tell them to skip it, although they will tell you about how you're not getting the most out of your DVR.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

wow. that's a uh, pretty comprehensive list. i think i'll leave my TiVo alone instead. no need to mess with a good thing.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

If you do decide to dig the trench again, this time run the wire through some PVC pipe. That way, if you need to run another line in the future, you can just do a wire pull through the PVC.

Junkie: Can't you just hit "stop" on your DVR, then go to the menu and hit "resume" on your show? That's the way mine works.

Draft saved Draft deleted