1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TIVO with DirecTV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lester Bangs, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

OK, I have a problem. I want badly to haul my ass into the 1990s and actually get TIVO, or any other sort of DVR technology. Here's the problem -- in order to get DirecTV a year ago, I had to dig a 100-yard trench to the back of my property, as there were too many trees to get a signal from my house. Now, if I want DirecTV's DVR service, I have to redig that trench in order for them to run another wire from the dish to my home. That ain't gonna happen ... at least not until spring, and probably not even then.

My question ... does TIVO work with DirecTV and will I have to do the same thing ... run a wire from the dish to my home. I am a technoboob and I am sure this is probably a dumb effing question, but thought the luminaries here could shed some light on it. Thanks.

2. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

i am pretty sure you WON'T have to redig the trench. a phone line and the current wire/cable from the dish to your house should be sufficient to download all the required info to your tivo box. directv should be able to answer all your questions.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I believe a standard TiVo box should work basically the same as a VCR. You plug it in, run the DirecTV video out cable into the TiVo box and then another video out cable to the TV.

I'm not sure why the DirecTV people would need to run another wire from your dish to the box, either. I would think they would just replace your box with one that has the built-in DVR feature.

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

DirecTV told me I would have to redig for their DVR and refused to answer anything about TIVO.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That seems very, very odd.

We had DirecTV for a couple of years, and then added TiVo and local channels about a year ago. The installer didn't have to run any new cable at all.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

TiVo makes a Directv box ... but now Directv has its own DVR box, which is why they probably blew you off concerning Tivo.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The new DirecTV DVR runs off of a multiple LNB. You need two lines coming into the DVR so you watch one channell while "taping" another.

8. Inky_Wretch

Wouldn't a splitter inside the house take care of that? That's how ours is hooked up.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

That's exactly right.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Be aware that the DirecTV DVR (which is no longer associated with Tivo the company) does NOT fast forward through commercials.

I'm not sure that new Tivo boxes do it anymore, but the DTV DVR definitely do not.

11. Inky_Wretch

So if I record a football game, and am zipping through the first quarter, it'll quit fast-forwarding when the commercials start?

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

DirecTV has its own DVR now which, from what I've heard, isn't that great. You can still buy a TiVo for DirecTV:

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-tivo.php

That's an outfit that sells all sorts of TiVo-related items, plus upgrades.

This is a good forum for TiVo information and questions:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

I think you might be stuck digging another trench because the DirecTV TiVos are dual-tuner, but I'm not sure. That forum should be able to answer all your questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted