1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Titletown 2007-2008: Boston?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Bill Simmons has already written a couple of columns about this and he will write many, many, MANY more.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

When the Foxborough Patriots play in Boston, then Boston can take credit for them. Right now, they're closer to Providence than they are to Boston.

3. KP

KP Active Member

While downtown Providence may be a mile closer than downtown Boston to Foxborough, the southern parts of Boston (West Roxbury, Hyde Park) are 8 miles closer than the northern neighborhoods of Providence.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I used to think like this back a while ago when I really, really followed sports as I came of age. In 1971, the Baltimore Colts won the Super Bowl, the Baltimore Orioles won the AL (losing to the Pirates, I believe) and the Baltimore Bullets lost to the Milwaukee Bucks in the NBA Finals.

In 69, the Mets won the World Series, the Jets won the Super Bowl, the Knicks I believe lost in the Eastern finals.

Also, in 69 the Orioles lost the WS, the 69-70 Bullets had the best reg-season record in the NBA and the Colts -- as mentioned -- won the NFL but lost in the SB.

In 1980, the Phillies won the World Series, the Eagles lost in the Super Bowl (Jan. 1981) and the Sixers reached the NBA Finals, losing to rookie Magic Johnson.

The 81 Dodgers won it all and the 81-82 Lakers won it all, and the '82 Raiders went 8-1 in the strike-shortened season and reached the second round.

In 79, the Steelers and the Pirates both won it all, with the Steelers wrapping two SB titles around the Pirates' WS title.

Those are just off the top of my head.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

1990-91 was pretty sweet for Atlanta, in that way. Ga. Tech won a share of the NCAA football championship, native son Evander Holyfield won the heavyweight title, the city won the bid for the Olympics, then the "Miracle Braves" won the pennant and the Falcons and Hawks both made the playoffs. That's when I came of age. ;)

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Red Sox: Yep, they're winning
    Patriots: Might very well win, too
    BC: Not. winning. shit. (unless you count an ACC title as some huge deal, and they might not even win that)
    Celtics: Please. Might win the East ... but still not one of the five best teams in the NBA.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I can't believe any team from Boston has even lost any games.

8. people in New England really have an inferiority complex problem

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

No, this thread was started by PhilaYank, who lives nowhere near Beacon Hill.

But mentioning that kind of kills your point with facts, and I wouldn't wanna do that.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Who started the thread has pretty much nothing at all to do with whether or not the thread title is true.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Sure...::)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.