1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips on South Bend road trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Friday & Saturday of this past weekend was the smallest group of "legit" scalpers (folks staked out along US 31 & Angela Rd) that I've seen in SB, in a very long time. Combine that with the natural rivalry & close proximity of U of M....it's going to be a toughie.

Really stems from the Nebraska game of a few years back. Lots of ND "loyalists" sold their tickets for enough to cover their entire season package (mostly to Neb. tour operators). When the Neb. showed up in red....and loads of ND fans / neutrals wore white (STEAMING hot day), it truly looked like a 'Husker home game. Pretty funny.

Also, biggest source was often faculty / admin. tickets. The memo sent out after that debacle was priceless.....

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The one time I went to an ND game in the mid-1990s, we scored a couple of faculty tickets. My buddy knew somebody, and we paid face value for great seats. Then we saw Ohio State absolutely steamroll the Irish in the second half (that note's for you, Layman!)

Anyone who likes college football should hang out on Notre Dame's campus on gameday. Just a great atmosphere, on a beautiful campus -- especially if you're Catholic. The team's walk from the chapel to the football field, through a tunnel of fans, is really cool.

3. "Especially if you're Catholic?" What a garbage answer. It's not like they're performing baptisms and singing Ave Maria on the way into the stadium. The day seeing ND football is a "Catholic" experience is the day seeing Seton Hall in Newark becomes a "Catholic" experience.

Just call it what it is. A religiously fraudulent Division 1-A experience.

4. And I wouldn't be shocked if this hasn't already happened, but if I ever hear of a baptism being performed prior to a ND football game, that might as well be the Four Horsemen arriving for the apocalypse.

5. So what? They go to the Grotto before home games. So did that fat fuck Charlie Weis who's on the Toll Road to hell when he dies. So what, again?

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Geez, Jimmy, lighten up. I don't see that what Coco said was wrong. Notre Dame is a Catholic school with a lot of Catholic imagery on campus, and deep connections to the American Catholic Church nationwide. If you're not Catholic, at a minimum all the pregame hoo-hah is impressive, in part because the campus is so relatively small that the atmosphere takes over every inch of the school (except perhaps a few grad students in the library). It's a unique college football experience. If you're Catholic, I can see it carrying deeper meaning because Notre Dame, unlike many private schools that technically have a religious affiliation, still takes its Catholicism seriously.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Just to straighten it out for the "detective":

The "Catholic" part of my comment had nothing to do with the football team, it has to do with the campus.

Obviously, a college football team walking through a tunnel of fans on its way to the stadium isn't unique to Notre Dame.

But visiting on-campus sites like the Basilica of the Sacred Heart or the Our Lady of Lourdes grotto on a college football weekend? Only in South Bend.

Draft saved Draft deleted