1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips on South Bend road trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Aug 31, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You can always find a comfy chair in a Barnes & Noble to get some sleep.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

On Hotwire, a 2 star came up in South Bend $242/night. Also found a couple in Elkhart for $69-99, but those were also two stars.

Nothing over 2 1/2 stars came up on the quick search.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tickets are pretty to come by on game day. As some have mentioned the real trick is finding a place to stay.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Stay in Chicago.

5. YankeeFan

If you're flying in, yeah.

But if you're driving in from the Detroit area, that's going the wrong way. Might as well head towards home instead of driving to Chicago after the game.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

He could always drive to Kalamazoo after the game and stay there. He'd be in a college town, so you'd still have the college bars and such.

And I'm sure a much easier time getting some place to sober up stay.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Notre Dame is in South Bend. I would recommend visitng the school, maybe catch a football game or another sporting event, depending on the season.

8. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I probably should have just not mentioned that....sorry, 'stang

My wife gets season tix (work), we like to trade them off for other tickets (Colts, Ohio State.....swapped USC tickets for Coldplay tix last year), or sell them at face, for folks who just want to go to an ND game. Still had 2 for Michigan, as of Sunday. Swapped them for Ohio State-Wisconsin...

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Actually been to the RV Hall of Fame in Elkhart.

Contemplating heading to Chicago for the night. Lots of Big Ten bars there. I'm partial to the Schoolyard.

10. YankeeFan

Isn't that an Indiana bar?

Check that. I'm thinking of the Kirkwood, which is owned by the same folks.

Schoolyard's site says they're an Illini bar.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Went there last year and literally met a fan of every Big Ten school just by what they had on their shirts. That's the coolest thing about Chicago to me. Of course this was a football Saturday, but it was at 10 p.m., not noon. The drunks were still out in their Penn State jerseys and Iowa shirts until 2 a.m.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Why pay $184 a seat when you can pull a Rick Reilly? Get a credential!

Draft saved Draft deleted