1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips on getting hired as a reporter even without much video/digital experience

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by bbb1978, Jul 14, 2012.

1. bbb1978

bbb1978 Member

Hello to all,
    I have been having a whale of a time trying to get a simple NCAA beat reporter job with a daily newspaper and I have 10 years' experience (six full-time, nearly four as a freelance reporter) and I recently earned my Master's degree, which I've come to realize as almost worthless in the sports reporting world, perhaps worth something if/when I become an Editor later on, but that's for another day...

Unfortunately, I worked for small commmunity dailies as a Sports Reporter that required ZERO video editing, digital experience. So while I have photography, copy editing, page design, social media and other experience, along with at least some video work done as a college student way back in 2000, I'm kind of out of luck finding a job. I feel like I'm out in the cold...plus I have zero real investigative or public records-requests work done, even as a freelancer. The work I've done is stricly gamers and some features here and there, that's been about it.
    The point is though, I know how to write great sports articles and my work is pretty proven writing freelance stories for The Associated Press, NHL.com, Newsday, The Orange County Register, a few sports magazines like Running Times, etc.

Any tips on trying to get hired anyway, besides taking the obvious courses that involve digital media? I've been a little busy to enroll in even one digital media course @ a community college, but will look into weekend stuff I should've long ago.

Unfortunately, the school I got my Master's from (Cal State Fullerton) only focused on theories, not really digital work, and I couldn't take their courses because I had to be an undergrad Photography major or something in order to take anything.

Anyway, any help would be nice. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted