1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips for an interview... position: Editorial Assistant

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mitch21, Nov 19, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Dress sharply and be confident. Look me in the eyes when you (firmly) shake my hand and answer my questions confidently without sounding like a dork.

I was part of an interview team once where a guy wore a tie with fucking Beethoven and musical notes all over it. They hired him over my objections. He wasn't the best hire.

2. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

Well I am an alumni of FSU and their logo does not insult the Native American. In fact, every year a native of the Seminole tribe throws down the spear before the first game of the season.

As for the Redskins, in my area, its common to be a "fanboy."

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

First thing, skins, relax and be yourself. You seem to be overworrying, overthinking and overpreparing for this.

4. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

Thanks Mira I appreciate the info. and advice.

5. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

you hit the nail on the head with this one. Thanks spnited...I need a job and I'm anxious to start working in this business...its the reason I went to school.

I have most definitely been over thinking this one. Thanks, I appreciate it.

6. Mira

Mira Member

No prob. Good luck with the interview.

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I guess that makes it OK, then. I love that you find this to be a perfectly normal occurrence. ;-)

Perhaps "it's" common, but "it's" not necessarily appropriate in the workplace.

Keep it low-pro, and go out and knock 'em dead. Once you're in the door, anything can happen.

8. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

ballscribe-

The Noles were originally on the list that the NCAA made regarding offensive names. Later, they were taken off the list. They were taken off the list because the Seminole Tribe gave their support of the team name. I don't see how simply using a Tribe name is offensive.

I do see how Redskins is offensive (or relevant to this thread) and I had no intentions of discussing it in my interview.

The teams were brought up because of my name on this site.

9. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Ask questions. Relevant questions. When I was interviewing for my job I even went as far as researching the company's latest profit margin.
    It seems to me those are the types of things editors and management want you to be aware of -- that journalism is first and foremost a business. It bums me out that this industry's focus is leaning far too much to turning profit, but if you're going to become a journalist you have to understand it's how things work.

Draft saved Draft deleted