1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips for a Cooperstown newbie?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Herky_Jerky, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ohhhh shit. my entire family freaked out because i just started laughing for no damned reason (as far as they know). when both my soccer-playin' daughters asked: dad, what's so funny? i had to lie to them.

that was a quality story.

as far as the diner goes, damned, damned fine grub and very nice folks behind the counter.
    i went to cooperstown both times in the spring, so it never was all that busy.

i'd love to raise my kids in that area of the country ... 9 months a year.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

While there's no reason to go to the soccer hall of fame in Oneonta, I will highly recommend Brooks BBQ there. It's right off exit 16 on I-88.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The Neptune Diner off Exit 15 is quality, too. It's pricey, but good.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

What the fuck do you know, newbie? :D :D :D

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Forget the name of the bar on the main strip, but they have an amazing bacon cheeseburger that would make you want to slap your mother.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

True, I've only been there once, but the food was much better than the people I was with. ;D

7. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Looks like my co-worker didn't want to help a brotha out, so I'll only have three days off. But I figure I can spend a lot of time checking out the town on Tuesday before heading out.

The HOF website suggests bringing a bicycle along. I've got a bike and would have no trouble bringing it -- I just wonder if it would be all that helpful.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Forget a bike. That's insane, unless you're taking a day to take a scenic bike tour of the area. Which you're not.

One day is more than enough for the Hall itself if you get there in the morning. And you won't need a full day to check out the rest of the sights in the area. A three-day trip should leave you completely satisfied.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Got lots of tips, and i'll post them all as soon as i get home from Cooperstown tomorrow. :) But here's one: don't fly Continental.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

agreed. leave the bike at home.

11. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I am just posting to bump this back to the top, so it'll be easier for Buck to find on Tuesday.

My bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted