1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips/examples of Soccer gamers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_rookie, Apr 12, 2007.

1. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

Any help would be great.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A football gamer wouldn't be a football gamer without the phrase "lovely cross."

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Run, run, run, kick.
    Run, run, run, kick.
    No, it's not "A Chorus Line," it was School A playing School B in a 0-0 tie on Thursday afternoon....

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Only advice I can offer...
    After the game, ask the losing coach: "After Johnny Bigfoot scored, did you ever give any thought to marking him?"
    That's all I got. Sorry.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Do you have specific questions about the sport? How to keep stats? The best way to cover it? Willing to help, but we need a little more info.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I the U.S., it's a field, not a pitch.

Keep track of corner kicks, shots on goal (meaning shots that were close to the goal, not the one that missed 20 yards wide) and goalkeeper saves.

There is action (yes, it's true) away from the ball. When a guy has the ball on the wing, keep an eye on who's coming open across the field. Look at who's doing what on set plays. This way, when there's a goal, you can describe the action beyond saying that Jimmy Crotchpot scored with 31:03 left in the half.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Use the minute the goal was scored in, not the scoreboard reading with minutes and seconds.

Try to keep an eye on the system each team is using, how many defenders, midfielders and attackers, and whether the coach adjusts when behind or ahead. Makes for easy questions after the game. Keep an eye on the flow of the game, and possession.

Goals are goals, not points. As in a three goal lead, not a three point lead.

A good soccer term is equalizer or eqalized, as in "Joe Jacobs scored the equalizer for the Sharks in the 22nd minute. Cutting in from the left touchline, Jacobs juked past two defenders and buried a low shot into the right corner of the net."

I just think it sounds better than tied the game.

I'll also echo John in saying keep an eye on the rest of the field. A lot of goals come when players break from midfield, and no-one picks them up, or when an attacker makes a run to create space for someone coming up behind him. The idea is the attacker makes a run, drags his marker out of position and creates a gap for someone else to run into from deeper on the pitch.

8. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

good soccer terms for gamers to learn; terms that soccer fans follow/use. You can find these and more at various soccer web sites:

equalizer
    18-yard box
    50/50 ball
    sweeper
    counterattack
    touch
    through ball
    attacking third/defensive third
    boom ball - every other ball in high school soccer is a boom ball. lol
    instep drive/pass
    clear - no, not steroids
    a push pass
    longball
    square pass
    far post/near post
    marking/mark a man
    draw - games end in draws, not ties, those i think this is anal retentive and can be scrapped
    overlap

9. Look for players that slip into open gaps. This allows them to receive a pass once past the defender. Also look at how a team defends, whether they're up in your face or if they allow space and how much. The better players who like to score know how to create space.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Set an alarm so you wake up in time to get your interviews done.

11. SoSueMe is loaded with soccer knowledge.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Don't go with the European sundial-era concept of using only the minute the goal was scored in. The second hand has been invented. Be innovative and write, "Pele scored at 4:07," rather than, "Pele scored in the fifth minute."
    And the clock starts at 0:00 at the start of the second half.
    Anything after 45 minutes in either half is either stoppage time or injury time. Your option.

Draft saved Draft deleted