1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

tipping etiquette questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zagoshe, May 15, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If there's an envelope in the drawer, I put it in there and stand it up on top of the tv, sometimes writing tip.

Otherwise, you put it somewhere where none of your other belongings are (on top of the TV, on the pillow) and just lay it flat so they know it didn't fall out of your pocket or something.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I put the maid tip under an upside-down empty glass. Hard to miss or misinterpret.

Second the earlier post about breakfast-server tipping. Good karma there too.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Um, yeah, but that's their job. It's not like they're job is power vacuuming carpets and because you just had to stay in their hotel they were forced to clean up your room.

Like I said, I'll leave a decent tip in that situation but I damn well don't do it because I feel bad that they have to clean up my room. That's what they signed up for and, chances are, my room is the easiest one they'll have to clean all day.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

End well, this thread won't.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I take one of the complimentary hotel envelopes from that stationery folder, put the bills inside and write "Housekeeper" in big letters on it. Then I leave it in a conspicuous place like the top of the TV (tougher with flat screens) or by the clock radio. They always like to change the station to salsa music while they work, so they notice it there.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This post is sweet, yet quasi racist at the same time. I love it. ;)

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

For those of you who don't know, I run a pretty low-key karaoke show now at nights.
    It's free to sing, although I generally encourage you to buy a drink or whatnot. I have a tip jar setting out. And while I don't expect anyone to tip -- it's not really consider a tipped position -- I guarantee you that ones who do get a little something extra. Whether it's conscious or not, a buck or two in a jar might just make me concentrate on the sound quality a little more (I can make most people sound just about on either end of the spectrum), stay open a little longer at the end of the night or just be an all-around more pleasant person.
    I use this example because while I deal with a good amount of tourists, I also deal with a ton of locals. The locals who tip tend to have more fun, sing a bit more often, etc.

I'm not expecting to get rich off tips, but I remember them, and I remember who gave them to me. That's human nature.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

let's see.

Starbucks I would drop in a buck, if I'm a regular. If it's just a driveby, tough.

The bar situation is weirder because it was a to-go order. I don't know that I would in that case. But I'd make sure to tip the bartenders well the next time I went in there to drink.

The pizza place? I'd only tip if they had some hottie wearing a low-cut top, like my pizza place does.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Personally I never tip on any pick-up/to-go orders. I'm in the 20-40% range at my bar, depending on who is working and what my tab is though.

10. Exactly the reason why I don't tip my "barber." My haircut never takes more than 5-10 minutes and not once does the barber have to use scissors. It's one of the simplest haircuts you can get, and I'm already paying $16 for it. Most barbers make between $10-15/hour anyway, I think. No need for me to tip on top of 16 bucks for a haircut I probably should be doing myself anyway.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

In these situations, assuming I pay with cash, I leave the change. Some days that might mean I'm leaving a dime, others 99 cents, so I figure it evens out.

If it's a locally-owned joint that I frequent often enough for the people to know me, I'll throw in a buck with my change more often than not.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

As far as chamber maids go, I admit, I usually forget. And I always forget if it's just a one-night stay.
    There was one time I had to stay at a hotel for four weeks, I left the maid a $20 each week placed on top of the pillow and another $40 as I left, for a $120 total. Probably should have left more as I got to know the staff there pretty well, and the maid was superb (and I was also being reimbursed for most of my expenses).

As for barbers/hair folk....I too have an easy haircut. It's basically a shear No. 3 throughout and nine times out of ten I do i myself. But every once in a while (mainly during the hot sticky summers) it's just easier to go have them do it. Usually the tip is $2 plus any extra change...and yes, like Buck, more for good cleavage. Yeah yeah, call us pigs...but the girls know exactly why they are showing the cleavage.

Draft saved Draft deleted