1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiny, flying robots are creepy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Feb 4, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I'm confused what makes it creepy. They're like mini planes or helicopters flying around.

3. bigpern23

I guess just the idea that they are being engineered to be autonomous and imagining a Skynet-led squadron of thousands of them swarming across cities and laying waste to their human enemies.

Whaddya want, I watch a lot of science fiction movies! :D

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

At some point in the future, people will not believe that we drove cars on the ground. This is the start.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The U.S. government is already using small drones like these to spy on people.

And I think that's kind of creepy.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think there are a lot of physical restraints that make this impossible (if we have a fuel crisis now, how does it get better when everyone is fighting past gravity to get into the air consistently?), but more importantly, why is flying in the air preferable to driving on the ground...?

7. bigpern23

Tons of logistical hurdles, too, such as how to direct traffic flow to prevent constant air disasters, but the obvious advantage of flying is you can take a direct route to your destination. Plus, flying is awesome.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And how are we going to fuel this utopian Jetson world? We're heading toward a worldwide crisis point when it comes to affordably fueling just our current ground vehicles, much less your imagined world where everyone gets a magical flying machine.

9. bigpern23

This is a pretty harsh tone to take on a fairly innocuous post. I don't think 93 implied it would happen in the next five years. I'd say it's fairly inevitable that personal aircraft will become the norm in the future. It's bound to become a more efficient mode of travel than driving on roads.

Doesn't mean it's going to happen anytime soon, but I don't see any reason to doubt it will happen.

10. 93Devil

If we are hovering around in the air, we have moved way past oil as a fuel source.

Two hundred years ago the horse was the #1 mode of transportation. The horse. It was also the best form of communication with the Pony Express. That was cutting edge 150 years ago.

Can you imagine what technology will look like in 200 years?

The only thing that will stop progress is if we kill each other in wars or we fuck up the environment so badly that the planet becomes toxic.

And we do not have a worldwide fuel crisis if you can think past the internal combustion engine.

11. 93Devil

These kids seem to have found the first step to directing traffic in the air.

Draft saved Draft deleted