1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tina Fey officially leaving SNL

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deskgrunt50, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Apparently she said she's gone on Friday night's Leno show.

Not really a shocker with the new she's doing on NBC (called 30 Rock?), but as far as I knew there was nothing official.

Loved her on Weekend Update. But, as stale as the show was last year, probably a good time to bring in a whole lot of new cast members and writers.

She certainly had a great run on Update.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read somewhere where she wanted to stay if she could only do Update...

SNL takes yet another hit... I just wonder what it will take for the show to finally be canceled...

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

i heart tina, chin scar and all. ;D ;D ;D

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

As someone who couldn't stand Fey's Update smugness, I consider this good news. Who knows--if they bring in the correct head writer, maybe the show can rebound.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm kind of with suburbanite on this, her role as head writer has led SNL down the primrose path to demise.

The actors currently on SNL might be about as likeable as a case of syphilis, but their material isn't helping. It's not for nothing that the only episode I've watched this year was the best of Smigel's cartoons, which was uproarious.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

i heart tina, smugness and all. ;D ;D ;D

7. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Please tell me fatass Sanz is leaving too.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I for one won't miss Tina. Toward the end Update turned into a "Let's bash Bush for 10 minutes" segment. I loved "strategery", but one joke doesn't play well for 10 minutes during Update. Even the audience was starting to get tired.

I do wish her the best on 30 Rock, although I wonder what happens if the show gets canceled...

9. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Agreed.

I'm an independent, and like many, I've grown pretty tired of Fredo, especially when I a. turn on the TV and see that more American military personnel have been killed in Iraq/Afghanistan and b. When I have to pull out a 50-dollar bill at the gas station. That said, I wouldn't have minded all the anti-Bush stuff if it had been funnier. It tended to be pretty much a one-note joke, and I use the word joke loosely.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I expect SNL to torch any President in office, just make it funny. I won't miss Fey, the writing on the show is so bad these days and WU now is only slightly better than the Colin Quinn era, which was the worst.

11. Weekend Update has lost a lot of its usefulness becausee of The Daily Show, and perhaps other shows like it. They need to revamp it, or have some dynamic personality doing it, in order for it to regain relavancy.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Apparently, they almost hired Jeffrey Ross when they teamed up Fey/Fallon. Ross would be an inspired pick.

Draft saved Draft deleted