1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time's Person of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 14, 2011.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So you're offended because an award made up by a magazine to stir buzz and drive up sales ... made a selection that bears in mind the need to stir buzz and drive up sales.

It ain't the Nobel Prize.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's been all downhill since they picked this guy:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Nah, I wouldn't say I'm offended. I get it.

Just worth pointing out.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't even have a problem with the ultimate award as much as the paltry list of candidates. Aside from McRaven, there's nothing.

If they wanted to create buzz, Norquist would have been a riot.

Remember last year? There was outrage that they would pick Mark Zuckerberg, when Julian Assange was in the process of bringing down governments and redefining the world. Whatever happened to that guy?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like Ryan, but he doesn't even belong in the discussion. I don't know that there's really anyone politically this year who stood out enough to be considered.

I understand they need to sell issues, but Seal Team Six would have done that.

Steve Jobs also would not have been a bad choice, but they might not have wanted to do that after doing Zuckerberg last year.

6. Mizzougrad96

I thought Zuckerberg was a good choice or at least in hindsight I think it holds up. I'd have to check last year's thread to see if I thought that at the time.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't know, I once knew a preps writer who turned in a terrific wrestling article, even though the losing wrestler wouldn't talk to him.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Absolutely, you could. You don't even have to know who they are when you write it. You write about the mission. About the SEALS in general. About what Osama's death meant for our country. For the world.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Surprised Robert Gates wasn't considered, but I do think it was an appropriate choice, especially with regard to Arab Spring. We will be dealing with the repercussions of those upheavals for decades.

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

This is not unprecedented in the history of this issue. But the 2000s have been too full of these kinds of picks:

2002 The Whistleblowers
    2003 The American Soldier
    2005 The Good Samaritans
    2006 You
    2011 The Protester

Before that, it was a little more spread out:

1993 The Peacemakers
    1988 The Endangered Earth (planet of the year)
    1982 The Computer (machine of the year)
    1975 American Women
    1969 The Middle Americans (silent majority)
    1966 Baby Boomers
    1960 American Scientists
    1956 The Hungarian Freedom Fighter
    1950 The American Fighting Man

That being said, I think The Prostester is a good choice. It really has defined this year all over the world, especially in the Middle East but also here.

11. Mizzougrad96

If you were picking the five finalists, who would you choose?

12. Mizzougrad96

Even some of those it was pretty clear who they were referring to.

Draft saved Draft deleted