1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time's Person of the Year and no, it's not YOU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's a fair complaint. I think you can argue that because of the movie, Zuckerberg is now a household name and now is as associated with his brand as Jobs is with Apple and Gates is with Microsoft. It's also continued to expand beyond what anybody thought was ever possible.

Hasn't it only been three or four years since FB became accessible for non-college students?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You're wrong.

There are lots and lots and lots of people not on Facebook. They are perfectly well-adjusted to modern society. Probably morseo, in many cases, than some heavy Facebook users.

Not everybody wants their social circle to be so large that they need social networking as an organizing device.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

A steaming pile of shit choice.

Assange was it. They blew it. Again.

4. Mizzougrad96

I guarantee you this article was in the can long before the latest round of wikileaks.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, and I thought you were working on your novel all this time. :)

I use Facebook sporadically, mostly to find out what my sons (one in Edmonton, one at school in Nova Scotia) are up to.

I also managed to find an old high school buddy who's now living in California.

HC has several hundred friends, I have less than 100, a number of them SJ folks.

The funny thing is I don't know the sj. handle of some of these "friends"

6. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Is the "I don't have a Facebook account!!!" guy the new "I don't have a television at my house!!!" guy?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No, he's the new "I don't own a car" guy.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Then you start over.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Gee, Dick, I'm WRONG ... and you wonder why people are picking on you.

There is no part of the world that isn't touched by social media in some form. Facebook was/is where it all starts. There are a lot of people who ride their bike to work too, and I'm sure they are very happy doing that. But to say it hasn't caused a major transformation in society is just lunacy.

10. Mizzougrad96

99 percent of the country hadn't heard of Assange until a couple months ago.

I think he would have been a good choice, but this certainly isn't a bad one.

At least they didn't pick Dwyane Wade.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Let's not get carried away.

Nine percent of people are on Facebook. Nine percent.

That means 91 percent are not.

And I wonder how many are actually active users. Probably not that many, at least from my (admittedly anecdotal) experience. At best, Facebook is a more efficient email system. At worst, it's just another way for distractable teen-agers to distract themselves.

To say it is as transformative about the way we live, the way the automobile was, is lunacy.

I am not on Facebook. I do not miss a social beat.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That was my question. I guess having a movie about the invention of years ago qualifies?

He should have gotten this back when Facebook was really starting to explode. Three or four years ago.

Agree with NoOneLikesUs that Assange was a better choice for this particular year.

Draft saved Draft deleted