1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time's Person of the Year and no, it's not YOU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 15, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hope I didn't d_b this. It's Mark Zuckerberg

http://www.nationalpost.com/Mark+Zuckerberg+named+Time+2010+Person+Year/3980473/story.html

At 26 years old, Zuckerberg is the youngest winner since Charles Lindbergh was named the magazine’s first person of the year in 1927 when he became the first pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.

I'm sure board members have their own opinion on this.

I thought it should have been Favre

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good choice.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

He's completely changed the way we communicate and live our lives.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Hyperbole much?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not for the better.

I deleted my Facebook account this year. Just wasn't me. I wonder if the novelty will eventually wear off for more and more people.

The social networking phenomenon will be an extremely interesting development to watch over this decade. Part of me thinks that we will be watching a segment on Facebook some day on VH1's "I Love the 2000s!"

7. Mizzougrad96

Most of my friends from high school and college are scattered across the country and Facebook is the perfect way to keep in touch with them. Between having two little ones of my own to chase around and living on the opposite side of the country from where I grew up, it makes even simple phone calls difficult at times. Being able to see pictures of their kids and communicate with them makes me feel like I'm there when I'm not.

Are there a lot of aspects of Facebook that annoy the crap out of me? Absolutely, but the good definitely outweighs the bad.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A lot of people like it because of this. My wife is one of them. She is so much happier now, socially, and feels less disconnected than she used to when she felt she would go months without contact with people.

For me, personally, I actually felt less connected with people when I had a Facebook account. It was to the point that it felt like Facebook was the only proper communicative device, and anything else was crossing some sort of boundary. It was so strange, also, to be in constant communicative contact with like 400 people from my past and present. So now I just make an effort to shoot an email or a text or a phone call every so often to people who matter to me.

Maybe I'm just an odd bird, though.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm surprised at the lack of speculation around here leading up to the announcement; IIRC, the Time POY prognostication thread is usually a meaty one here.

10. Mizzougrad96

My wife has lived in the same state her entire life. I've lived in seven states. My friends are as scattered as they can get. Facebook helps that.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Not on facebook and have no desire to ever have an account. People I keep in touch with are the people I want to communicate with. If I haven't talked to you since high school I don't really care if you had dinner at Applebees or if your kid shit on the toilet for the first time.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Maybe.

Draft saved Draft deleted