1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times buys Tampa Trib

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BDC99, May 3, 2016.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

We have friends at Trib as well. Nobody is celebrating.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Revolution was an abject disaster for the Trib. Sold the building and pocketed the cash, and seemed to never any intention of finding a new workplace. Fucking typical greed that defines our economy these days.

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Source tells me the first sign that something was about to happen is when the cellphones and email were cut off — about an hour before the announcement.

He tells me he was on the phone, doing an interview, when the line went dead. No service.

He adds that he and others haven't been able to retrieve their contact list or old emails. But they were told to expect a phone call about where to turn in their equipment.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Erik Erlendsson -- who covers the Lightning -- was in Brooklyn today preparing for Game 3 of the Tampa/Islanders NHL series. He tweeted the news of his dismissal and is trying to find a way back home.

Just brutal. A real professional.

studthug12, HanSenSE and reformedhack like this.
  5. reformedhack

Oddly -- and maybe it's the former sportswriter in me -- that was one of my first thoughts: Who's on the road today, and whether they're turning around and coming home.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

His contacts were wiped off his phone.

7. reformedhack

Jesus. That's petty.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ. Wiped off his phone. REALLY?

All of you affected by this are in my thoughts. And I agree that it sucks the Tampa Trib doesn't get a proper final edition. One hundred and twenty-three years in business and one more edition won't kill you.

studthug12 and Bamadog like this.
  9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

And now you know why some don't take the classy way out and elect to blast their former employers on the way out. Heaven help us all. What an industry. Wiping all his contacts off his phone! He should sue them. It's criminal to leave somebody on the road to fend for himself/herself in such a situation.

10. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

One of my early thoughts too RH...I remember that being an issue with Orioles writers in Baltimore.
    I was a manager in a big chain, working on a shared project at a partner paper when a huge storm hit at night, essentially stranding the copy desk. The executive editor paid for hotel rooms for his staff. He sent somebody over to sheepishly tell me I was on my own. Partners, baby. Hopefully the Times will step up and pay for EE to get home.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

How pathetic is this company that we have to question whether they will pay for the man's flight home?

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Fuck. Two of the best people I've ever worked with lost their jobs.

reformedhack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted