1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to Go Dicky V

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

We're on the same page there Fenian - smug is word for Bilas.

I've meet Dicky V too - great guy but dam we are not going to get these games back that we are foreced to listen to.

Perhaps a big donation to the Jimmy V funds If he steps down.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

You guys are only calling Bilas smug because he's a Dukie

3. Boom_70

Well it is a disease common to Dukies- It all started with Mark Alarie who passed the torch to Danny Ferry.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I actually missed him when he was going thorugh his voice problems earlier this year. It just wasn't basketball season without tuning in and hearing his voice for about five minutes before I went for the mute button. So, in a round-about way, I'm glad he's back.

5. JackS

JackS Member

Yeah, Enberg makes reference to McGuire's lack of preparation in his talk backs after Cotter Smith's renditions. It seems the "element of surprise" was a big part of Al's TV schtick. Surprise to him, I mean. He would go into a game purposely having very little clue what was about to happen. It resulted in a lot of mispronounced (or flat out forgotten) names, and I didn't care for that. His personality carried him, and that was it. If not for that, he was pretty bad. Basically, he was Bucky Waters with personality.

The funny thing is, Enberg admits he didn't like McGuire when he first began working with him. Felt he was quite aloof. It was only as time went on and the old coach started warming up to him that a great friendship developed.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

One of my favorite moments. Sorry Oz.

7. Boom_70

From what I read McGuire did not even remember the names of the kids he coached. Like any good Y player he remembered everyone by a distinctive feature to their look or game.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not me. I do like Bilas' commentary.

9. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

Since Stu was mentioned above, this was pretty funny last night when I was outside the visiting locker room at Cameron. EA had just finished interviewing Hansbrough for SportsCenter, and EA says aloud "Why is Stu calling my phone when he knows I'm on the air?"

Agreed about hearing old games and actually hearing Dickie V analyze. Can't argue with the great guy/terrible analyst/annoying screamer part.

10. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

I love Dickie V somewhat, but I can't listen to him anymore.

His act jumped the shark about 15 years ago. Great guy, though.

On a strange tangent, I love Lee Corso on college football. He and Vitale are a lot alike, but Vitale is always hyping his pals or whatever, and Corso just seems to be sitting there, wherever he is this week, hyping the moment, and the crowd, and most of all the fun. Corso still is a lot of fun every week.

11. If by "a lot of fun," you mean he's a clown, I agree.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Corso is perfect for college and would be a disaster doing the NFL. I love watching him though on Saturday mornings.

Draft saved Draft deleted