1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to dump the Wild Card?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by statrat, Sep 20, 2007.

?

Is it time to get rid of baseball's Wild Card?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It can extend the playoffs into November.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Only true, insufferable baseball nerds still present this argument. Ninety nine percent of fans don't care if the last Red Sox-Yanks game has meaning or not.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Problem with that is, to have eight four-team divisions, you've got to add two teams. So more likely, you would have six four-team divisions and two three-team divisions.

That would dilute the product much more than the wild card ever has. I would rather see two big divisions in each league with two wild cards.

4. statrat

statrat Member

If having only one of them in the playoffs meant watching them come down the stretch with actual consequences on the line instead of deciding which one played which team in the division series-Yes.

5. statrat

statrat Member

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Baseball is an incredibly long season, and I hardly think the WC is to blame for that.

If that's a huge concern, you can go back to a 154-game season without anyone batting an eye.

And if you really wanted this Red Sox--Yankees race to be for all the marbles, then talk to the Tigers.

If they hadn't spit the bit in the second half, it would have. It isn't New York's fault that they've played their asses off and the Tigers haven't.

7. statrat

statrat Member

But with three or four teams in each divisions I think it might put a little more pressure on mediocre franchises to figure out a way to win. How can you justify finishing 19 games out of first place with only two other teams in your division?

8. This is like arguing with JDV.

I'm out.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Divisions in pro leagues do not and should not have only three teams. That's insane.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm with fof.

These arguments have been made before. Events this season haven't made them any more compelling.

The wild card is a smash success, and it's here to stay. Deal.

11. statrat

statrat Member

Well so far I've kept my posts to less than 100,000 words, haven't posted any youtube videos, actually have hair on my head, and have avoided calling those who disagree with me "haters" but if you say so. I was just trying to spark a discussion.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

DH? YES
    Interleague Play? YES
    Wild Card? NO

Draft saved Draft deleted