1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Tebow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Jul 23, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS RIPPING OF SPURDOG!

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not religious, but that's ridiculous. If people who need help get help, the motive doesn't really matter.
    And most people in the Philippines are Christian already.

As for the name of the Tebow=Hansbrough super baby, I was thinking Soda.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

4. imjustagirl

Nathan Junior.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Thought about this over my lunch break. What if Tebow were an atheist, much less Muslim or Jewish? What if he took as seriously his standing as a role model, but brushed off any talk of religion? What if he still volunteered to go to the Philippines to help build houses or something, but not under religious pretense?

6. imjustagirl

Then he'd be my favorite football player in history.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't care who wins the Heisman this year, as long as it's not Tebow.

8. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I don't think he's trying to convert anyone. Contrary to popular belief, Christianity's not all about converting the masses. I know, crazy to hear, right? It's also not about not cussing, not drinking, not having sex, not doing all this stuff. It's not about not sinning, and it's not about preaching.

It's about, well, helping people, whether they're impoverished kids in the Philippines or men in jail. To convert them? No. But to make their lives just a little bit better, and to give them hope.

There's a lot of hope to be found in Christianity that gets shoved aside, replaced by people telling other people "repent or go to hell!" and such.

9. imjustagirl

There's a pretty big gap between "repent or go to hell" and trying to convert. Christianity, from what I understand, has a pretty basic concept of introducing Jesus to others. Am I wrong?

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Basically, yes.

The idea of Christianity is this: We have sinned but can be redeemed from our errors by acknowledging that we have fallen short, turning from our transgressions and accepting that Jesus, the son of God, died on a cross to take the punishment that we would otherwise receive ourselves after we leave this life. And, after accepting this, we want other people to know about it, so we spread the Gospel (an Old English term translated to modern English as the Good News, which is why those terms get used interchangeably a lot). Plus as Christians, we're commanded to in the book of Matthews.

Why this is translated to some modern Christians as "yell a lot at unsaved people and get your rocks off by looking down at them" is anyone's guess. Why this is translated by others as "don't say anything or people will look funny at you," is also anyone's guess (and before anyone says anything, I'm thinking of myself with the latter).

TL;DR yes, Christianity involves telling people about Jesus.

11. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I'd say yes and no.

No, as in: not the way it's commonly thought of today. Preachers getting on TV or wherever and telling you what to think and how to repent and why you should repent and how God loves you but only if you repent. Guys going downtown to pass out tracts and preach on intersection corners and try to convince drunk college kids that they need to get their life together. Kurt Warner yelling after winning a Super Bowl.

There is what is known as "The Great Commission," that says we--Christians--should introduce the world to Jesus.

But that brings me to my YES.

YES, as in: introducing people without speaking. By that I mean introducing people to Jesus not by telling them who he is, but showing them--with the way I act. Simply treating them with respect, with integrity, with honor. It's not the greatest movie in the world, but Madea Goes to Jail has a lot of themes throughout it that really represent true Christianity. A former prostitute passing out clean needles and wrapped condoms to the ladies of the night. Trying to get them real jobs. A man opening his home to help one of those prostitutes, who just so happens to be a former childhood friend of his.

Christ says somewhere in the Bible, "What you do to the least of these is like doing it for me." Not doing it to please him. He's saying that if we buy a poor kid a new pair of shoes, it's like buying Christ a new pair of shoes. Obviously, he doesn't need shoes. (He wears sandals.) But that's the idea: love.

On the flip side, those who make you feel like shit for doing whatever sins they point out, it's like they're telling Christ he's not worth shit. Because they're not representing what he's really about worth shit.

The problem is that tons of Christians get impassioned with their message, but have no clue how to mass distribute it. And I think that's part of the problem. Christianity can't be mass communicated. (Is that a real thing?) But I think I make my point.

It's all about the time and the place. It's fine to teach, lecture, preach even, in a class setting, such as holding weekly meetings at the local Starbucks or wherever. Invite people to that.

I'm rambling like crazy, I know, and definitely not rewriting too much like I would if this was a column or something, so I might not have said all that clearly. PM me, IJAG or anyone else. I love discussing this stuff. I'm still learning myself. I was raised Christian but definitely starting thinking outside the box, to use a cliche, for awhile, and am now rediscovering the beauty in all of it.

So yeah, I'll just leave it here....seriously though, drop me a line to talk more about it.

12. imjustagirl

Sneed: That all makes sense. Thank you. I do judge the more vocal of the Christians and tend to tie it over to others. At the same time, my best friends are Christians (and some are Catholics). So I see all of it. And they all love me regardless.

Draft saved Draft deleted