1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Tebow: Fraud?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Or merely human for refusing to run the Wildcat yesterday, in reaction to not getting the starting nod?

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8776088/tim-tebow-new-york-jets-asked-left-wildcat-sources-say

I think in the effort to canonize Tebow as the nicest man to ever wear shoulder pads, people sometimes forget what a raging competitor he is. And I admire that, even though I think he's ill-equipped to be an every-down NFL quarterback.

In this case, though, I think it manifested itself in a pretty childish way. Hard to stand up for his action here, no?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You can't technically say he "refused," because the coaching staff is going along with the proposition that they wanted to get Jeremy Kerley sometime. Even if he did likely go to them and say he'd rather not put his body on the line for a team that has no commitment to him.

You can argue it two ways.

The guy is earning a little more than $2 million for the year and you should do whatever they ask on a football field when someone is paying you that much money.

The flip side is he has been royally dicked around by the Jets, and football is a brutal game. Why should he go out there and subject himself to a beating as a situational player for a team that has already announced its intention to be rid of him next year?

You get such a limited lifespan in football. Why should he risk injury right now for a nowhere team, that has jerked him around and has already announced that he is gone next year? Can you really blame him for not wanting to risk an injury in those circumstances?

That is why the coaches went along with it, rather than calling him petulant. They know they have jerked him around, and they know it would be unreasonable after the way they have treated him, to expect him to line up in the wildcat for a few meaningless plays in a meaningless season given the pounding that gets you.

That is why in this case, I am thinking it's more fair to say it was a mutual decision to just finish the season up and let him get out of town unscathed, rather than him "refusing" to play.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree with Ragu. I think the Jets and Tebow came to a mutual settlement sometime in the week after the Jets game, when it was apparent Ryan would never use him no matter how badly Sanchez sucked. Woody Johnson's donations to Romney look like a wonderful investment by contrast to this fiasco.
    PS: If Tebow goes to Jacksonville, he might actually improve them a bit. If Jones-Drew can't come back, he'd be their best running back.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't blame Tebow for a second. He was forced on the coaching staff and they never had any intention of using him, even as a backup. They would rather lose with Sanchez or McElroy than risk winning two meaningless games with Tebow.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As Ragu stated, the Jets have royally dicked over Tebow. The owner made a move to try to get publicity and it worked, but the coaching staff never had any intention of letting him backup Sanchez, because if they did, he would have at least gotten a chance a long time ago. There was no way Ryan was going to risk using him in two very winnable games because they were meaningless and if they had won them, there would have been more people clamoring for him to be the starter next season.

I don't have a problem with anyone saying that Tebow isn't equipped to be a NFL quarterback, but when a team gives you every indication that you will be used 20 plays a game and be a legitimate backup and then they don't follow through with that, I have no problem whatsover with him refusing to line up in the wildcat in two meaningless games...

6. Two things to point out:

1. Rex Ryan needs to win next week in order to just equal Herm Edwards 4-year record with the Jets

2. Tim Tebow will be in the NFL next season while Rex Ryan will not.

I also predict that Ryan will never get another head coaching job. I think given the distractor factor he brings with him - a head coach would also have to have him forced upon him as a defensive coordinator. Rex Ryan's future employment will most likely be in the broadcast booth.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Or Adam Sandler movies.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As a Vol fanboi, it pains me to say this, but Tim Tebow is a winner. He proved that in spades at Florida, and he proved it last year in Denver.

There is noting about the Jets organization -- from the players, to the coaches, to the management -- that says they are winners.

I'll side with Tebow on this one.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Why was he screwed over? He was brought in to be the wildcat situational QB and the punt protector and was horrible in both this year and this week he agent feeds Mort the virtual certainty to Jacksonville is typical Tebow passive aggressive BS. The ultimate teammate creating a distraction that is all about him and how do they know it is a certainty? Was there illegal contact between Jaguars and Tebow? I love the Tebow apologists saying he stood up for himself. Really, is he the only players in the league that felt he was wronged? The guy guy refused to play which means he quit on his team when things didn't go his way. He differs from other malcontents he has very good pr people who carefully cultivated his image and keep his name in the spotlight.

I love the Tebow is a winner crap. Mark Sanchez and the Jets went to two AFC Championship games and nobody is calling either a winner.

Fraud!

11. "Rex Ryan Sexual Dynamo" would make a good name for a fantasy football team.

12. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted