1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Hudson: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 1, 2013.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

To nit-pick: Actually, he's the guy who goes 15-7 every year. W-L is definitely overvalued, but that's approaching greatness, at the very least. He simply does not "lose" many games.

His winning percentage (.656) is 15th all-time among pitchers with at least 10 seasons (aka, HOF-eligible.)

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Back when Tom Glavine was chasing 300 — RIP spnited — I used to keep a running total here of how many leads the Mets bullpen blew for him. I can't seem to find all the details now, but I recall it was something like 13 blown leads in his first three seasons with the Mets, 13 games where Glavine left with a lead in the sixth inning or later and was in line for the win. Aaron Fucking Heilman, man. And Braden Fucking Looper.

Now, W-L records being what they are, I'm sure he also gained about two dozen or so wins in his career because he pitched poorly and the bullpen or offense bailed him out. But that stretch with the Mets was just brutal ... and contrary to most Mets fans' opinions, not because he was pitching all that poorly.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And that is why I really wish a matrix deeper than "quality start" was formed. You could basically break down a start into 4-5 categories.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Nobody uses quality starts anyway. Why do we need anything to replace it?

5. 93Devil

Nobody uses it because it does not tell you enough.

If a pitcher goes eight and gives up only a run, that is a lot better than a pitcher who goes six and gives up three.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Is anybody arguing that it's not?

7. 93Devil

And if we had a quick way to show that, I think many fans would be interested.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

What's slow or complicated about saying "8 IP, 1 R"?

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Santana got jobbed out of a third Cy Young. No doubter in my mind, so long as he goes in with the right hat.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not sure how the Colon bullshit slipped my mind yesterday, but it did. Yeah, I think I'm willing to give Johan the Koufax/Pedro/Dean exception. He was that good.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So I take it you're over that 1 percent bullshit?

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah. I don't have any idea what I was thinking then. Probably just my hatred for the fucking Mets.

Draft saved Draft deleted