1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Hudson: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 1, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He went bald younger than any other player in MLB history. That has to count for something.

2. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Totally agree. A World Series ring might help his case, but I think eventually, in this era of pitch counts and bullpen specialization, some standard is going to have to be set. He might end up being the test case there.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The case for Hudons in terms of his numbers being a little off because of inning limits is more glaring because of Bobby Cox, who could mismanage pitchers like they were going out of style.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yes, Bobby Cox had such a hard time dealing with good pitchers.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, only three HOF locks... :D

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't give a hoot about them being HOFs. The Braves could have had more wins/more World Series wins, if Cox would have just left those HOFs alone instead of hooking pitchers at the drop of a hat. He did less with more than any manager in the history of the game. I, for one Braves fan, jumped for joy when he retired.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I assume you are a Braves fan.

8. Mizzougrad96

He underachieved, I agree with that, but it's not like he was Dusty Bakeresque with his mismanaging of his pitching staff.

9. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As much as I respect Hudson for what he's done, that's not HOF worthy. To me, to qualify as a HOF'er you need to be dominant for at least some 5 year period. Hudson has never been considered one of the top 2-3 pitchers in the league, let alone the MLB. Yes he pitched in the steroids era, but that's not enough to get him in. His numbers are nice, but not great.

11. Mizzougrad96

I agree with the notion that you no longer need 300 wins to get into the Hall, but in order to merit consideration, you should have been a dominant player for at least a decent stretch during your career. Hudson has never been dominant. He's been very good, but hardly dominant. If he had two Cy Youngs, it would be one thing...

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Hall of Fame candidacies for active starting pitchers, should they retire today:

1. Roy Halladay
    2. Johan Santana
    3. Andy Pettitte
    4. CC Sabathia
    5. Tim Hudson
    6. Justin Verlander
    7. Mark Buehrle
    8. Chris Carpenter
    9. Felix Hernandez
    10. Cliff Lee

Only Halladay is a lock.

Draft saved Draft deleted