1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Donaghy on 60 Minutes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Donaghy = Canseco

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How many years did he gamble on the NBA? I just found $100K to be low considering the kind of advantage he got. I figured he was betting $10-20K a game.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That may be so and their lives are each a joke, at times.

However, I believe much of what Canseco said about drug use in baseball. I'm leaning that way on Donaghy also.

4. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I wondered about why he asked that question, too. But then, I figure he was doing that to help people who do not follow sports regularly (like a former boss of mine at my non-journalism job). It probably helped some people.

I have no sympathy for Donaghy. What he did wrecked his life, destroyed his career, his marriage, and his reputation. Hope he doesn't gamble with his book advance (surely, it wasn't as much as his NBA salary....?)..

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

True, and while Canseco is a douche, I think just about every point he made in the steroid book has been proven true or is widely assumed to be true.

Did anyone see the Real Sports thing with the guy who helped Donaghy bet? That was really interesting as well.

It's not on ESPN's front page and on the NBA page it says "Donaghy: I did not affect the outcome of games"

So, everything is OK. There's nothing to see here. Just ask the World Wide Leader.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Me, too, pal, which is why I brought it up, here.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Spin seems to be changing, here. The frequency of called fouls can
    have an overpowering effect on over/under NBA wagering, and there
    seems to be a good deal of smoke in this area in this neighborhood.

8. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

I agree, but it sounds like you're implying that what Canseco and Donaghy did were bad things?
    Sure, they broke codes, and for questionable motives, but who gives a fuck. They unearthed important truths, an endeavor that an army of sportswriters failed at.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

His interview on the Scott Van Pelt Show this morning was a joke. I was pretty disappointed in SVP. On the plus side, I'm sure SVP will be a stellar addition to the celebrity softball team during All-Star Weekend (shown live on ESPN!) this summer.

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I think they said four. And he didn't bet on every game, and not even every game he was involved in.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

ESPN's refusal to acknowledge this as a legitimate scandal pisses me off to no end.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

When you make an overwhelming investment in a steaming pile of shit, you tend to have that reaction.

Agree, thoroughly.

Draft saved Draft deleted