1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiki to NBC-- Today and SNF

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tommyp, Feb 12, 2007.

1. tommyp

tommyp Member

For those who care...

Barber to join NBC in dual role
    Former Giants RB will be on Today and NFL show
    Posted: Monday February 12, 2007 3:47PM; Updated: Monday February 12, 2007 3:58PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- Tiki Barber will work for NBC next year after spending most of the 2006 NFL season entertaining bids from various networks for jobs in both news and sports.

The New York Giants' Pro Bowl running back will be introduced Tuesday at a network news conference, according to a person familiar with the deal who spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not directly involved in the contract.

Barber will work both on the Today show and on the network's Sunday night football show. It is unlikely he would be in the broadcast booth with the longtime team of Al Michaels and John Madden.

Barber, who had worked in the offseason at Fox, had considered offers from that network and ESPN/ABC for news-sports roles.

The 31-year-old Barber announced in October that 2006 would be his final season after 10 years with the Giants.

He finished fourth in the NFL with 1,662 yards rushing, including a career-high 234 in the season finale, a 34-28 win in Washington that got the Giants to the playoffs. For his career, he had 10,449 yards rushing and 5,182 yards receiving, joining Roger Craig and Marshall Faulk as only the third player in NFL history with 10,000 yards rushing and 5,000 receiving for their careers.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He quit football so he could talk about it.

Wow. What a renaissance man.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

So does he replace Jerome Bettis on the pregame show?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hey, did you know Jerome Bettis is from Detroit?

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Tiki to Agent: No.
    Agent: Look, it's the Today show, you point to a map, how hard can it be?
    Tiki: No way, they make you stand outside in the rain and talk to people from Cleveland.
    Agent: Look, they said they'll keep Roker if he'll agree to do the bad weather days. You can do the nice weather.
    Tiki: Can I do the cooking stuff?
    Agent: They said okay, but Lauer still gets Martha.
    Tiki: (Silence)
    Agent: We'll ask again.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I understand that he wants to be "the next Matt Lauer" -- whatever that means -- and that it is better to leave early rather than to hang on. And it is obviously his choice to decide when to hang them up. But three years ago, Tiki thought that he wanted to be an actor. Is this latest flavor of the month hobby worth quitting football?

For a guy who played at a very high level this season, I just don't get the logic as to why he's in such a rush to leave. He doesn't have any major injuries. He's approaching HOF type numbers. And he will never make as much money in TV as he would have for the Giants next season.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think he's doing it because he wants to be able to walk normally when he's 50 years old.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not really breaking news here. I thought this had already been decided months ago? Seems like it was, anyway.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I generally never find reason to quote Reilly for sound argument, but in light of Waters & Ted Johnson etc., hard to argue with the decision. Hope he's happy, and I won't miss him running over the Cowboys.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Great, I can't wait to see more Tiki. *Yawn*

I predict lots of mugging for the camera, lots of smiling. I can't wait. :(

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I remember when Tiki filled in as an overnight host on WFAN just after his rookie year. He's always been a good host type.

12. XXXX

XXXX Member

TIKI BARBER SUCKS ASS!

please tiki stop invading my t.v., but since i don't watch the today show im glad i won't have to see him as much asif he wereon ESPN.

Draft saved Draft deleted