1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiki Barber -- Hall-of-Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tommyp, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Payton didn't have a single Pro Bowl lineman blocking for him until the 1985 season.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I agree with the top 3, Sam. After that, there are a lot of choices to round out a Top 5.

I think Faulk deserves to be in there because he is the prototype of what the running back position has become in the 21st century. Although Payton was the first to set the bar high as a true all-purpose threat. When he retired, he not only held the rushing record, he also held the record for most receptions by a back (with legends like Bob Avellini, Mike Phipps and Vince Evans throwing him the ball).

I can't argue with Campbell. Man, he was fun to watch when I was a kid. That clip of him where he bulls his way through the defense and gets his jersey ripped off never gets old.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That's about right.

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Agree completely with your assessment of the Bills offense... but to be fair, 2006 was a tough class to get into. Maximum six enshrinees, each with a compelling argument for induction; even this rabid, #34-jersey-wearing fan didn't like Thurm's chances against that lineup.
    (That said, I've already booked a hotel room in Canton for next August.)

I'll reserve judgement on Barber until I see the final numbers, but how many other modern-era RBs have made it to the Hall with only two Pro Bowl appearances and no Super Bowl rings?

6. tommyp

tommyp Member

And where are the Giants' all-pro linemen?

7. tommyp

tommyp Member

The following is a list of 'modern' (post-1951) RBs in the HoF. Go here, click on the individual links, and check out stats/history, etc. -- http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.html

A lot of what is said on this thread does not apply to a lot of these backs, yet they are HoFers. Doak Walker, perhaps one of the finest men to have ever played professional football, only had 1,520 rushing yards in his CAREER, and had more receiving yards than rushing yards. Of course the eras and styles of the game have changed throughout the years, but there are some on this list, if we based the hall on stats, who do not belong.
    Marcus Allen (RB) 1982-1997
    Jim Brown (FB) 1957-1965
    Earl Campbell (RB) 1978-1985
    Larry Csonka (FB) 1968-1979
    Eric Dickerson (RB) 1983-1993
    Tony Dorsett (RB) 1977-1988
    Frank Gifford (HB-FL) 1952-1960, 1962-1964
    Franco Harris (RB) 1972-1984
    Paul Hornung (HB) 1957-1962, 1964-1966
    John Henry Johnson (FB) 1954-1966
    Leroy Kelly (RB) 1964-1973
    Ollie Matson (HB) 1952, 1954-1966
    Hugh McElhenny (HB) 1952-1964
    Lenny Moore (HB) 1956-1967
    Marion Motley (FB) 1946-1953, 1955
    Walter Payton (RB) 1975-1987
    Joe Perry (FB) 1948-1963
    John Riggins (RB) 1971-1979, 1981-1985
    Barry Sanders (RB) 1989-1998
    Gale Sayers (HB) 1965-1971
    O.J. Simpson (RB) 1969-1979
    Jim Taylor (FB) 1958-1967
    Charley Trippi (HB) 1947-1955
    Doak Walker (HB) 1950-1955

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Starting just with Barber's breakout season in 2000, the Giants sent Ron Stone to the Pro Bowl twice. Take from that what you will.

This offensive line argument is a terrific mushmouthed cliche for players and coaches, but the matter is a lot more complex than "he had a great line" or "he had a shit line."

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

True.... it's complex... but you have to judge a back based on something.

And, the line is a big something.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Of course, now Tiki and his agent are spinning this as a story that should not have gotten out... they say it's true but claim it shouldn't have been written.
    "TV" Barber (as his teammates call him) is beginning to look like an ass.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/463987p-390433c.html

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I wish someone could spin your stupidity.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

That Marcus Allen is in the HOF is the most obvious proof of what a joke the football HOF is compared to baseball.

He had three 1,000 yard seasons, all in his first four years. He never again notched even 900 yards. He was a nice role player for the Chiefs for a long time, but no one's idea of a feature back.

It's not his fault he basically missed four years for ascending to the top of Al Davis' enemy list, but it shouldn't have garnered him any sympathy votes either. There is NO WAY that guy should be in the HOF. It'd be like Nomar Garciaparra making the baseball HOF because he had a handful of stud years early before was derailed by injuries.

Draft saved Draft deleted