1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiki Barber -- Hall-of-Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tommyp, Oct 19, 2006.

1. tommyp

tommyp Member

With the report that he might retire upon season's end, the question is, is he a Hall-of-Famer?

I believe that he is a shoo-in if this and next season (should he play) are similar to 2004 and 2005. That would put him in exclusive company: 12,000 yards rushing, 600 receptions.

Only other person with those stats is Marshall Faulk, who himself is a shoo-in when he comes up for enshrinement.

Discuss...

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

only if he changes his mind and continues playing at this rate through the rest of this year and next.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

new york media bias? not with football hall of fame voters. if anything, there's an anti-n.y. bias. pay attention.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

C'mon Shockey. You've been around. If there's a great player who spent his career in New York, he's automatically overrated because of us. We're biased. [/dripping with sarcasm]

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Apples and oranges.

If a running back puts together six brilliant seasons--which Tiki would do if he maintains this current pace thru the end of next year--he's a HOFer. Earl Campbell made the HOF off FIVE great seasons, for crying out loud.

Tiki's going to be an interesting case if he does indeed retire at the end of this year. That'll be five brilliant seasons for a guy who had 935 rushing yards COMBINED in his first three years. I don't think he's a HOFer if he retires this year, but I do think his high profile and genial nature will help him once he is eligible.

6. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

And I'd be okay with that.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Definite HOFer.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He's no Alex Webster ... err, Tucker Fredrickson ... err, Ron Johnson ...

As for Kirby. .318 lifetime hitter, .309 in post-season, 10 all-stars, 6 gold gloves, a batting title, two world championships, lead AL in hits four times ... I'd say his credentials are outstanding, and great players sometimes do get their stats projected if they have to retire early (see Sandy Koufax).

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Only if Damon Allen's in.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Not a Hall of Famer.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

No way is he a hall of famer.....until 3 years ago he was best known for having an identical twin in the NFL.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Time for sentence jumble!

This sentence pertains to Tiki Barber's Hall of Fame chances. Use the following words in a sentence to find the answer.

fucking, no, way

Have fun kids!

Draft saved Draft deleted