1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods Press Conference

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Feb 17, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Re: Tiger Woods Press Conferenece

Accenture doesn't get as good of a run for its weekend-long infomercial. The event now gets buried on Saturday AND into Sunday/Monday as every columnist/pundit around gets in a swipe, and the whole thing will be a huge distraction as players will be asked more questions about the presser than their own matches.

I also hope some reporter finds an Accenture person at the event and asks HIM if this is a distraction. What do you think the answer will be? Sugarcoated, but you'll see the steam coming outta the guy's ears.

2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

A limited number of print and wire service reporters will be in attendance and will share their notes, color and background on a pooled basis.

For a 30-second statement, that should take all of what, about five seconds?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bethpage has got nothing on the drunks at the Phoenix Open. The No. 16 there is like playing a par 3 in the middle of Bourbon Street on Fat Tuesday.

He might play (somewhere) but I still think it's Tiger's way of telling a former sponsor to fuck right off.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think the Thunderbird Club and CBS would be ecstatic if Woods would show up next week to play next week in Phoenix.

I wouldn't bet on it.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many national media will be at the Accenture event?

None, with Tiger's announcement coming in Florida.

I'll bet Fergie is booking a flight home right now.

6. playthrough

It would be a good play in terms of luring the masses back into Tiger-dom if he played Phoenix. He should play every tournament he usually skips, just for local goodwill. Everyone's happy when the cash registers are ringing.

But I don't see it happening.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He could answer questions all damn day on Friday and this would still not "be behind him." This will follow him for the rest of his career. TMZ and its ilk will see to that.

From his point of view I can see no upside to agreeing to an honest-to-god press conference. Sucks for us but I can understand the reasoning.

He'll do this dog-and-pony show on Friday, - then jet off to play in a tournament in Dubai or somewhere else overseas - eventually he'll agree to a heavily-scripted sit-down with Nantz or Scott Van Pelt then go out and win the fucking Masters.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So let's just take the top three questions someone might want to ask Tiger Woods:

1) Was Elin really "saving" you with the golf club, or was she attacking you? And 1A) Why didn't you talk to the Florida Highway Patrol?

2) How many women were there in all?

3) When will you be back?

Oh, and let's go #4, so, about that doctor you saw who is under investigation for PEDs ... did he give you any of that?

I am thinking he answers #3. As for 1, 2 and 4 ... well, if those questions don't even get asked, as I said before, all participating "journalists" are stage props in IMG's little game. But at least they get to see their faces on TV.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I just don't see the point of this. A statement to a carefully selected audience of sycophants and coat-holders? Why bother? He could do this before any tournament he wanted, and it wouldn't be so bad. The golf press isn't exactly Mike Wallace on meth. Now, he's just going to look dumber than before.
    And why TPC Sawgrass? Wouldn't it be smarter to do his first public appearance in some anonymous office park or hotel function room, or any other place people don't care that much about golf?

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

He committed adultery. He didn't shoot a baby in the face.

He doesn't owe anyone but Elin anything, and the only reason he's giving us anything is because he wants to play golf with as few distractions as possible.

We are such an entitled public sometimes.

11. playthrough

You're just not being realistic. Barking out #2 at an invitation-only PGA Tour presser could, theoretically, get your season credential pulled by the tour. It's a douchebag move if you are told he's not taking questions. I don't disagree that they're lame-ass rules of engagement, but he gets to make the rules in this setting.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

He needs to be seen. It's an official photo op, family and friends, everyone gets the photo, the TV doctors can start analyzing the before/after pics to determine whether there was surgery.

Draft saved Draft deleted