1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods majors poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Aug 20, 2006.

?

How many majors will Tiger Woods win during his PGA career

1. 12-14

1.2%
  2. 15-17

2.4%
  3. 18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 19-20

22.4%
  5. 21+

74.1%
  1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Don't we all? :D

Ferguson is the ESPN of golf journalists -- all Tiger and Wie, all the time.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That, my friend, is precisely why Tiger is great. He gets birdie when others would get par. He saves par when others would bogey or double. He's simply an incredible golfer. Absolutely incredible. We don't get to see greatness like this too often. I'm choosing to soak it up and enjoy it while I can.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Nicklaus averaged finishing sixth in the majors from age 31 through 41, the decade Tiger will be entering as of the 2007 Masters.

So, yes, seven more majors should be a done deal.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If he keeps up his pace, Tiger will win 10 more majors by the time he's 40, which will put him at 22. He may win a few more after 40 — Jack was 46 when he won his last one at Augusta, and Tiger will be in much better physical condition in 2022 than Jack was in 1986.

5. you need to change this poll....

12-17
    18-20
    21-25
    25 plus

i predicted 25 after tiger won his first major. i still believe in 25....

what's going to be interesting is when performance-ehnanching drugs enter golf. it's on the way.... people are not going to take this beating without doing something.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Are you saying Tiger will test positive for performance-enhancing drugs, JW?

Should we really test John Daly or Tim Herron? Cheeseburgers must be their enhancer!

7. Claws for Concern

By the way, Tiger will win 20 and then see what he wants to do next in life. And as for when he'll pass Jack, I'm not sure of the year, but I think it will be at a U.S. Open, just because.

8. no. i'm saying tiger's competitors will turn to PEDs....

and, for the life of me, i don't know why sports writers believe you can look at a guy built like daly or herron and assume they're not using PEDs... that's just ridiculously naive.

9. Claws for Concern

Actually, I just don't want to look at them at all.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't be completely surprised if there are golfers already using performance-enhancing drugs, but the thing about golf is that skill, touch and mental toughness count for way more than power. As far as I know there isn't a drug that can give you those things. Tiger Woods can drive a golf ball pretty far, but he isn't winning by outdriving everyone anymore. When he was younger, yeah, he bombed the driver, but now, he actually, pares it back a little and sacrifices some distance for accuracy. He'll go a whole tournament without pulling a wood out of his bag. As people already pointed out, he wins because he is a machine. He isn't the longest driver and he isn't even close to being the most accurate driver. But he salvages par when other players will let a bad shot ruin the hole--or the day. He may be the most mentally tough competitor I have ever seen.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a poll this one-sided here since Seinfeld rolled over The Simpsons.

;D

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think it will probably be 22-plus, but some of you need to calm down. Every time Tiger wins a major, people go completely overboard and basically declare this the end of competitive golf as we know it. People who should know better (say, Gary Van Sickle, for starters) are now predicting that Tiger will win five majors in a row, calling him a mortal lock to win at Augusta, Oakmont and Carnoustie.

Pu-leaze. 1-for-3 would be impressive, 2-of-3 would be amazing, and 3-for-3 would be just scary. If he wins at Oakmont, a Par 71 where the rough will be eight inches long, it will be incredible.

The man is the most talented, focused, and driven golfer this planet has ever seen, but the nature of golf is that, no matter now good you are, you can't be your ass-kicking best all the time. There is too much timing involved, and fractions of an inch and random luck play too much of a role for him to completely dominate every single time he tees it up. He'll probably thump Jack's records, but it's still not going to be the cakewalk people think.

The man I'm interested in seeing is the 46-year-old Tiger Woods. The guy with three kids who doesn't have the physical gifts he once did, the guy who can't win every third time he tees it up, but the guy who still manages to put it together one Sunday on the back nine at Augusta to make a late charge while the crowd goes absolutely bonkers. It's sort of uncomfortable to watch him now when he's so smug and dominant. It's hard to relate to. But it's going to be fun to watch him dig deep and summon that greatness when people don't expect it, when they think he's got nothing to play for because he's already got the records and golf is slowly easing him toward the exit.

I don't particularly like him personally, but I did enjoy watching one of his interview sessions on ESPN News this week after his third round. It was the perfect example of why he's so good. Some reporter tossed him a softball question, a silly question really, but it got a great answer, which means it was a good question in the end. She asked him, "After you missed the cut at the U.S. Open four months ago, could you ever have imagined yourself being in the position you are now, having won the British Open and now being on the verge of winning the PGA?"

"Yes," Woods said, quickly and deadpan.

Why, the reporter asked.

"Because when you enter tournaments, you should expect to win. I figured I was probably going to enter a few more tournaments after the U.S. Open."

It didn't strike me as arrogant. It just struck me as honest.

The biggest difference between Tiger and Jack is that Tiger would probably kill himself if he finished second 19 times in a major. Jack sort of let his focus wander and let other players pass him by late in his career, but just watching Mickelson be in position to win three majors in a row and even be considered Tiger's "rival" probably pissed Tiger off so bad, he doubled his workouts, his practice sessions, his preperation. I think history motivates him, sure, but probably not as much as putting that green jacket on Phil's back.

Draft saved Draft deleted