1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods majors poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Aug 20, 2006.

?

How many majors will Tiger Woods win during his PGA career

1. 12-14

1.2%
  2. 15-17

2.4%
  3. 18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 19-20

22.4%
  5. 21+

74.1%
  1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It's early, but it's looking like another Tiger victory today. With that in mind, how many majors do you think he'll win by the time he wraps up his career.

I'm going with 21 or more, just because he's

1) just entering his golfing prime
    2) going to win 1-2 majors every year for the next five years
    3) got no one who can challenge him (not even Phil)
    4) got no one coming from the younger ranks to challenge him -- right now I think there are only 4 US golfers under 30 in the Top 100 rankings
    5) perhaps the most physically fit athlete in the game
    6) still ultra-competitive; I don't think he just wants to break Jack's record. I think he wants to smash it.

2. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I'll take 21+.

There's no reason to think he won't win five or six more in just the next three years, not counting today.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nothing much to argue about.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I voted 21+, though I don't even know how many he'll have when he wins today.

Despite a lot of ink spilled, not much has really changed: The rest of the field has to root for him to play bad to have a shot.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wife to me just now: He's REALLY talented, isn't he?

You fucking think?

But instead I said, "Yes, dear, he is. Wanna read a GQ story about him?"

Fucking guy can play golf.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Tiger Woods will be the winningest professional golfer in history by the time he retires. He's already the greatest Asian professional athlete, ever.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We can do the math. Woods has won 12 of the 40 majors he's entered as a pro. He's 30. So barring some sort of nagging injury (all that torque is bad for the back), he should keep winning at pretty much the same pace for another decade. So 21 plus it is.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Unavailable for comment

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It's quite special to watch sheer greatness like this. I was too young to appreciate Jack Nicklaus, even Tom Watson. I've rooted for Tiger since I first saw him play in the mid-90s (right before he won major No. 1). I could tell he was gonna be special, and he's beyond that. He's already on the brink of being the greatest golfer ever, and when it's all said and done, I think he will have slapped the bejesus out of every main golf record.

On a side note, like someone already said, there is nobody who can remotely come close to matching Tiger's talent. Phil is not even a close second to Tiger. Tiger is so good that Phil can be on his game and still not beat Tiger. But Tiger Woods is one of those few athletes in history when he's feeling it, he's unbeatable.

By the way, I saw Tiger became the first golfer ever to win multiple majors in back-to-back years. That's pretty damn impressive. Shit, winning one major a year is impressive.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Agreed. And I hate that naysayers bash Woods by saying he doesn't have any competition. How is that his fault? He just goes out there and wins, end of story.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What he said. And it's not that he always makes great shows. I don't remember anyone who could save par after a bad shot of three like he seems to do all the time.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Tiger is fantastic. I save my naysaying for Doug Ferguson. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted