1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mngwa, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Fair comment. I’ve made worse arguments and will do again.

poindexter likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

My son was in a somewhat similar single car accident. Both of his lower legs were crushed. He was in a wheelchair for a year and a half, and physical therapy for another year.

You have a very strange idea of "nobody got hurt", whether his professional career was ended or not, as it all but certainly was.

Giving the guy two or three tickets that might cost him as much as a grand would mean essentially nothing other than kicking him while he was down. He was driving too fast and the evidence seems to strongly indicate he went to sleep at the wheel. Instant karma knocked him off his feet. I can't even add "What do you want, blood?" since that sort of injury provides plenty of that.

3. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

And you have a very strange lack of context and comprehension if you don’t understand that when somebody says nobody got hurt in this case, they mean nobody else.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Point of order: Speeding is not necessarily a crime. It is a moving violation.

Depending on your locality's laws, exceeding the speed limit by X amount may become a crime such as reckless driving.

5. bigpern23

I once got pulled over doing 93 mph in a 45 mph zone. Cop let me off with a warning. NOT EVEN A FUCKING TICKET. But I'm white, so that kind of preferential treatment isn't surprising.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I am sorry about your son's misfortune.

But in a case like Tiger's I do think you give him a ticket. Any fine is of course immaterial. But in most states he will accrue penalty points to lead to license suspensions. He also has a previous incident where he was pulled out of a car he was driving and was incoherent.

I think it could be argued that he should have his license suspended you are protecting Tiger from himself. I realize there is a libertarian argument that it his life to lose. But if you are going 87 in a 45 you are not only a threat to yourself but to others. Next time someone else may get hurt or killed. It is in the best interest of society to get Tiger to take Uber or hire a driver.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. bigpern23

Aren't the crushed legs a sort of equivalent to "time served?" You think the extra fine is going to have more of an effect on his driving habits than the crushed legs?

And you really think his license should be suspended for two driving incidents in which no one else was hurt 12 years apart on separate coasts? You serious, Clark?

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Anyone ever hit with a nine iron deserves to get off.

9. bigpern23

What if he got hit with a 9-iron because he got off?

Vombatus, 2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Woods had was arrested for a DDWI in 2017. That was the second incident I was referring to.

And when Wood's car went out of control and crossed the lane while going 87 he could have killed someone in a car coming the other way. The fact that no one else was injured was luck. So, yeah, I think is a suspension is warranted to protect others.

This view is admittedly influenced by the experience of a high school friend. He had a problem with drinking and driving but dodged a suspension until he had an accident and broke a kid's neck when he ran a stoplight. My friend felt very baby about the accident for the months he spend in jail. But it sure as hell did not make the kid's neck heal faster.

So I believe in early interventions. as a preventive measure.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. bigpern23

OK, fair enough, I forgot about the 2017 incident. However, the Florida incident doesn't hold much, if any, standing in California.

"Could have killed someone" is not a crime. Reckless driving? Maybe. A quick Google search shows the penalty for first time reckless driving in SoCal is suspending the driver's license for 30 days, a fine of up to $1,000, and possible imprisonment from 5-90 days. It also shows that reckless driving is defined as "willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property."

There is also a distinction between negligent driving and reckless driving. It seems as if reckless driving — the wanton or willful disregard for the safety of persons or property — would be extraordinarily difficult to prove given the earlier traffic cam footage, along with the lack of actual danger posed to persons or property in this instance.

Is there a prosecutor in their right mind who would bring this case to a courtroom?

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I get an assist on that!

2muchcoffeeman and bigpern23 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted