1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mngwa, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

$25,000 per year, correct?

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yeah, per year. I better fix that.

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Winnings are part of it, but so is endorsement money. Even marginal players on the tour can have good to strong endorsement money coming in

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I’m not sure why this has become an argument. Yes, $540,000 is a lot of money — for the winner. If you finished down in the field, you made enough to pay all your expenses and probably a little real income. If you missed the cut, nothing.

I have no idea what the stats say about how many cuts are made, on average, but certainly the guys low on the money list were playing to support their families. When Tiger came along — and purses went up — even those guys started doing very well.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I thought the original significant plus up was in the Arnie - Jack days.

I recall Hogan (?) and others piling their clubs in one car and carpooling to the next event. THAT was really scratching out a living.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

One time Chip Beck won and after being presented a check for $360,000 said: “Wow. That’s more than most people make in two or three years.”

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's what amazes me. Of course the stars make crazy bank, but now you're scrolling way down the year-end money list to find someone who doesn't make $1 million. And that's just purses, not including the FedExCup gravy train -- which surely you can also trace back to Eldrick.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

In 1995, Greg Norman led the money list at $1.654 million. Mark O'Meara was 10th at $914,000. The Tour average was $175,211.

In '97, Woods hit the top of the list for the first time at $2.066 million. Tom Lehman was 19th at $960,000. Average was $223,748.

In '98, David Duval topped the money list at $2.591 million. The first player under $1 million was No. 27 Jeff Maggert. Average $274,000.

By 1999, Tiger's Tour-leading total was up to $6.616 million. Duval was second at $3.641. The average had jumped to $390,919.

The next year, the top money winner (Woods) won $9.188 million, followed by Mickelson at $4.746 million. The top 15 all banked $2 million or more. You have to go down to Brad Faxon at No. 46 to get below $1 million. The Tour average skyrocketed to $609,994. That's a 56 percent increase.

By 2007, Tiger won $10.867 million, Phil won $5.819 million and the Tour average was more than $1 million.

You have to go down to Briny Baird at No. 100 to get to a guy making less than a mill.

Think Tiger's success had nothing to do with that?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Some dude named Briny Baird was A. on the PGA Tour and B. earned just less than $1m in a single season!?!

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Briny Baird has more than $13 million in career earnings.

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

This sentence just blew me the fuck away.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted