1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger to skip Grand Slam of Golf

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Woods will take a 2 1/2 month vacation after the President's Cup, teeing it up only for his charity event in California in December.

Jim Furyk is replacing him in the field. No qualms with Furyk replacing him, but why not the FedEx Cup runner-up if Woods wins that?

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-grandslam&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Here is an interesting article: 50 players have now finished second to Tiger in a tournament. Ernie and Vijay have finished second the most, five times apiece.

http://www.pga.com/news/tours/pga-tour/second032707.cfm

3. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Now, if memory serves me, Tiger is acting quite different from Nicklaus. Jack let Barbara mind the kiddies. He was a family man, but he did it the old way.

It's a generational thing, but I believe it also has to do with Tiger's upbringing. Earl may have struck out a time or two, but he definitely hit some home runs.

Now if Tiger spends his two and a half months with helicopters full of hookers with Kerry Packer in Australia, I'll have to re-examine my thinking.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He's probably scared of being upstaged by Federer.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To me, Tiger Woods skipping the Grand Slam of Golf is akin to Alex Rodriguez skipping the World Series of Poker.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Because Furyk is next-in-points for high finishes in 2007 majors according to the PGA of America's system. Among all the previous major champions, this system takes into account whose done the best in the four majors. That would be Furyk.

He got into the PGA Grand Slam of Golf last year because Tiger won two majors and he was the highest point-getter among major champions who didn't win 2006 majors. Mike Weir got in under the same system last year because Mickelson blew it off.

This said, the coolest head-of-state I've ever met -- Premier Ewart Brown of Bermuda -- isn't going to be happy about this.

7. Who is Kerry Packer and how do I get hold of him?

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

You step in front of a moving train and hope you end up in the same section of Great Beyond as the late Messr. Packer, who died nearly two years ago.

He was an Australian publishing tycoon who owned various media entities as well as vast swaths of Australian real estate, things -- like Rupert Murdoch -- he inherited from his father, then built up.

9. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I figured Kerry might very well have bitten the dust by now. Does the point still stand? I'll leave it to y'all.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This is no big deal. It's an unoffiical money event that Tiger has played every year he's been eligible (winning all but once) .

11. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

It's no big deal.

The guy's got a gazillion bucks, a lovely wife and a newborn. Who wouldn't wanna take some time off at this point?

This is a media-driven angle. Because he's not in the story they wanna cover.

Focus on who's out there playing while Tiger takes another break. We all know he will be around for a long while, on his own terms. I give him a lot of respect for that.

It's a double standard to wonder why Pacman or Vick or whomever isn't making more time for the family life, then wonder why Tiger is spending so much time with his family.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted