1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Stadium likely to be demolished...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDub, May 12, 2008.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack here, but Moses also did a lot of good. New York needed a guy like Moses to bring the city into the 20TH century. He did build many of the bridges that makes the 5-boroughs contiguous and did develop the highway system. One can argue he was heavy handed in his tactics, and wrought a lot of damage, but if you talk to any developer today, they pine for a Robert Moses-type person who can cut through the red tape and beuracracy (sp) to get stuff done.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

some of that money the Thug Mayor was spending on Hookers.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Those photos provided by Warning Track remind me of the sad photos I've seen of Ebbets Field (windows broken), Shibe Park (trees growing in the outfield and after the fire) and Crosley Field (became a car impound lot). Tiger Stadium doesn't appear to be in that bad shape. It's too bad they can't find a use for it.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That's some damn solid parenting right there.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Do Detroit high schools play baseball?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, but only a couple. Not like it was back in the day when they produced players like Willie Horton and Alex Johnson

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great thread. Some fantastic stuff here.

Never made it to Tiger Stadium - but spent many a game rooting against the fuckers - when the Tigers and Jays were battling in the 80s.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Never been there either, but I used to love how the bullpen guys had their own little caged dugout.

I remember reading this one book (I think it was called 'Baseball Confidential,', but my memory is hazy) in which a reliever (Quisenberry?) said they used to pretend the Detroit bullpen was a submarine, and that they would pretend to shoot every foul ball that came near them. There was also a story about how there was a fight on the field, and that the relievers had a major problem getting out of the one little door to the enclosure.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The only game I ever saw at Tiger Stadium was Wednesday, August 28, 1963, Tigers 2, Angels 1, probably one of Frank Lary's last wins as a Tiger (thank you, baseball almanac).

About the only thing I remember was it was first time I'd seen those little auxiliary scoreboards in the concession area. Old War Memorial Stadium didn't have anything that fancy.

As for what to do: In Buffalo they tore down the grandstands of the Rockpile, but left the field as a park, and left one of the entrance archways standing.

10. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

UPDATE: Judge OKs Demolition To Continue -- It continued yesterday.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/x986602905/Tiger-Stadium-demolition-begins-after-judge-s-ruling

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's a year old, but fixed...

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Far too much.

Draft saved Draft deleted