1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger scolds media in apology

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That was no tap-in. That was a tricky, twisting downhill putt with a couple of humps.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Definitely some yips in that controlled yap.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

"How's it look, Gary?"

"Johnny, I tell you, I've been here all day and haven't seen a single guy pull off this call."

"Tiger...dials."

"Well, here we go. Well, this is worse than most. Worse than most! Worse than most!"

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Just sounds like a typical stupid jock...stammering through everything because he thought he was too good to be touched. Now that his wife is calling him out, he bumbling to cover up...not going to work...with the wife or the media. He has a right to privacy to try to fix this, but I don't think he has the capability. This will only become a bigger train wreck. And no matter how private he tries to keep it, many of the women he doinked won't want to keep in under wraps.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Waiting for some Tiger cubs to start popping up.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Never. He wears a condom, then takes it off with his toes.

7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

What BYH said. Fuck 'em. All of 'em. All his handlers, enablers, all of 'em.

Nicklaus' 18 majors looks better all the time.

Golf ..... sheesh. Borderline sport.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Borderline sport? How so??

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Here's a thought. Tiger is paid millions to endorse cars, golf gear, watches, razors etc. Those endorsers PAY millions to magazines to run said ads. Why would a golf magazine which does pay for play deals as standard operation procedure even bother going after Tiger for anything more than on course temperment? This is TMZ, National Enquirer stuff and they can have at it. But really, if you are going to write a column - do you bash him for getting caught or being unfaithful, because I'm sure Tiger has plenty of company on the Tour.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's an Olympic sport, dammit!

11. Babs

Babs Member

Put me down for no sympathy for Tiger. You can't have it both ways. Either you're a public figure or you're not. That's just how it works. If you don't like it, don't become a professional athlete.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Paola Boivin makes some good points in her column in the Arizona Republic:

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaolaBoivin/68654

When did we start confusing the want to know with the right to know?

Tiger Woods climbs into his SUV at 2:25 a.m., hits a fire hydrant and tree and is knocked unconscious. His wife is wielding a golf club, but we're not sure why.

Juicy. Sensational. Titillating. And none of our dang business.

Just because we want an explanation doesn't mean we deserve an explanation. Unless charges of spousal abuse surface, the man is allowed to argue with his wife/have late-night munchies/treat his yard like a pinball machine without our scrutiny.

Am I suspicious of the silence? You bet. Do I want to know the truth? Of course, but only because I'm a child of an instant gratification, tabloid-fueled environment.

It's a tricky thing. Freedom of the press and privacy rights are both important pieces of a democratic society. They also often butt heads.

It's understandable that public figures have fewer privacy rights under U.S. law. But Woods having drama at home does not define legitimate public interest, unless we believe we have an unalienable right to nose into others' business.

Draft saved Draft deleted