1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger High looking to join Big East?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

No, let's play it this way, what part of take a nice dose of send it to the PM or STFU do you not understand? I know you have this comprehension problem but come on, even you should understand that.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

No, I don't think we're going to PM it. You wanted me to admit a (non-existent) mistake here, so this should be the proper forum for your mea culpa as well. Still waiting for that citation.

In the meantime, here's a website to help you find a program near you: www.rif.org

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Your response is ill-informed and obnoxious - not a good combination.

West Virginia was ranked 2nd and lost to Pitt in the final regular season game two years ago or would have been in the BCS title game. Big East has won 3 of its last 4 BCS games. Your argument for BYU falls apart when you criticize Louisville's schedule from '06. The championship-game remark is nonsensical since the records posted were post-bowl. Should I continue?

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Also, this original story says Memphis is breaking the bank to pay Tranghese $5,000 per month to help them get in a BCS conference. That won't cover Tranghese's monthly breakfast buffet tab. I'm sure he'll be pulling out all the stops, working 200+ hours a month for that $60k salary.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh good. I can play this game too:

--West Virginia was ranked second despite not having beaten a single team in the top 20. The three "ranked" teams it beat -- Rutgers, Cincinnati and UConn -- all built their sort-of-20s-ish rankings on cupcakes. The WVa ranking was maybe the best shining example yet of how the bias of the preseason polls can create horrible, awful results at the end. The Mountaineers showed nothing to anyone all season, yet they just kind of rose to No. 2 as other teams actually played tough games and occasionally lost. Thank God they were proven incapable of beating a sub-.500 team when it counted. By citing their ranking as evidence, you are proving my point: The only way that conference is going to have a national title contender is through Charmin-soft scheduling.

--2006 Louisville? Surely you jest. You might want to give them credit for playing #15 Miami, but that Miami team ended up a 7-6 mess. And you can say they beat a top-five team (W. Va.), but ... well, I guess I've made my feelings clear on how West Virginia came by those rankings.

--BCS bowl games. Beating Georgia and Oklahoma were nice wins; of course, Boise also beat Oklahoma and Utah beat Alabama, so that's about a wash between the Big East and the non-BCS interlopers. As for the other BCS games, they just get lucky enough to get matched against the other down conference. But the ACC, with Miami and FSU and Va Tech, will have a champion soon enough.

--I see the Big East's schedule has picked up a bit this year, so we'll have a better gauge. But if there were a basketball-style Big East/MWC showdown pairing the teams in their respective places, I have no doubt the MWC would go 7-2 at least, and any of the top three MWC teams (or Boise, for that matter) would be favored to win the Big East.

But yeah, the BCS is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy better by handing a bid to the Big East every year.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The rumor since 2003 when VT, Miami and Boston College left the conference was that the Big East, in its current state would remain in tact for the five years needed to be recognized as a conference by NCAA standards. Then, after the five years was up, the conference would split in two, with the eight BCS teams going in one direction and the basketball schools forming its own league. It was the only justifiable reason to add DePaul and Marquette, because a six-team basketball league would never receive an automatic berth to the tournament.

That said, whether it happens or not is anyone's guess. It could be the reason why the Big East, after all of the disaster involving football, put another Providence basketball guy in as commissioner. You could almost argue that it HAS to happen, in that the current alignment is a complete clusterfuck. And I dont see Seton Hall, Providence or DePaul ever being able to reach the upper echelon of the conference as long as the eight football schools and Georgetown and Villanova are hanging around.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

And this site will definitely help you. Enjoy clown. http://www.stfu.com/index.php
    and if I should happen to see you.. .

http://www.break.com/index/kid-teaches-shirtless-bully-a-lesson.html

8. Killick

C'mon, Dip. It's a simple mouse click on the quote button. Even someone of your demonstrated limited mental capability should be able to wrangle that.

Citation.

[​IMG]

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Go home. Your shift is over.

10. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Because Virginia wants to join South Carolina as one of just two schools in ACC history to voluntarily jump ship. Elite company for an elite program.

11. Killick

Still waiting for that citation, Dip.

[​IMG]

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

WTF are you talking about?

Draft saved Draft deleted