1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TIFF Cinematique's Top 30 films of the last decade...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'm not as active as Mizzou, but a pretty avid viewer and certainly not afraid to hit the art house.
    I've seen two: History of Violence and The Royal Tenenbaums.
    Liked HOV a lot, LOVED the Tenenbaums.

2. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

I used to be much more of an active moviegoer before the kids arrived, but Mrs. Runaway and I still make good use of Netflix and have decent taste in movies.

I've seen four of the ones on this list. Liked all of them, to varying degrees.

I agree with the vibe on this thread. Bunch of pretensious asshats trying to outdo one another in a film snob circle jerk.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This.

And speaking of pretentious, how pretentious do these douchenozzles have to be to included 54 films in a "top 30" list?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

None of us seems to have seen or heard of most of these films, mainly because the vast majority of them are non-American and don't show up at your local Cineplex. And it doesn't say top "30 American films of the last decade".

If someone put together a list of the "Top 30 Novelists/Short Story Writers of the last decade" , there probably wouldn't be more than half dozen American writers on the list. Doesn't make the list pretentious----just means you don't read very much international/non English fiction.

So, yeah, there's always a certain amount of dick swinging among literary/film critics, but to dismiss these films outright as pretentious art films when you've never seen them, smacks of awful closed mindedness.

How many here seen the Fast Runner--it's on the list A brilliant movie shot entirely set in the Arctic using native actors The fact that it's entirely in Inuktitutan, the aboriginal language of the Inuit--with sub titles--doesn't change the sheer drama and adventure of the movie. There's absolutely nothing pretentious or artsy about it.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. I liked it, too.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think that makes them more pretentious -- but it does make them indecisive.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Oh, here we go again.
    Won Best Picture.
    Deserved it.
    Period.

8. vicd

vicd Active Member

Crash was a bunch of bad actors thinking this was their big shot at an Academy Award. They were right. Say more about the Academy Awards than it does about Crash.

9. vicd

vicd Active Member

I only trust Hollywood when it comes to politics. They know jack shit about a good movie.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why do I think that vicd is a double-nought spy in our liberal midst?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think he used to pop up over at The Board Whose Name Cannot be Spoken. :)

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Crash is a very good movie that takes an unfair beating because a homophobic academy voted for it over Brokeback Mountain. Shakespeare in Love also takes a similar beating for besting Saving Private Ryan.

Draft saved Draft deleted