1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TIFF Cinematique's Top 30 films of the last decade...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Holy batshit.

I'm a movie snob -- and readily admit it -- but I've only seen two of those.

I'm Not There was very interestingly done, and I'm not sorry I saw it, but great? No.

Far From Heaven was an excretion.

I'll be here all week.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I've seen The Death of Mr. Lazarescu and was fairly bored throughout. Never even heard of anything higher on the list. Cache was interesting enough, I guess. Mulholland Drive's a screwed-up mess that was supposed to be a TV series. A History of Violence was good, but the graphic novel had a better finale. Pan's Labyrinth is a great-looking movie.

That's all I've seen, and almost all I've heard of off there.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In the last decade 50 films have been nominated for Best Picture. I don't think any (Talk to Her maybe?) made that list.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mullholland Drive is a highly overrated movie that most people only saw because of a sweet lesbian scene.

5. vicd

vicd Active Member

Crash could certainly make the list of worst films of the decade

6. Mizzougrad96

You must not get to the movies too often.

7. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I am the average moviegoer, I haven't seen any of them.

I still don't get the hatred for Crash, I thought it was brilliant. I know a lot of people think Brokeback should have won that year. I liked Brokeback, Ledger was awesome, but I think Crash was a better film.

8. vicd

vicd Active Member

Sure, I see plenty of flicks. I've seen 4 or 5 on that list and I've seen plenty of Hollywood crap (Crash is Hollywood crap).
    Just saw "Detour" based on Erroll Morris' list of the five best films of all-time. It was great and silly.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've only heard of five of them.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That was partially my point. Those were pretty mainstream movies--and you had to see them at an indpendent movie house.

My point is, even if you live in a major North American market such as TO, your chances of being able to see them are slim to none--outside of TIFF So, what chance does any movie buff who lives in Podunkville, Manitoba have to see them? None.

The fact that hardly anyone here has heard of them is well, not surprising.

I'm not defending them...I think it shows that there's another world of movies out there that we don't even hear about it in major newspapers or magazines.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's interesting to me that even if you take the arty films out, some of the ones that American audiences might know don't seem to have popular appeal anywhere near the critic's appeal. For example, The New World gets only 6.9 stars on IMDB. The Royal Tennenbaums, gets 7.6, respectable, but not one of the top-rated films on the site. Mullholland Drive, with 8 stars, does crack the top 250 at IMDB (number 236). I don't know where that puts it in the rankings of films from just the last decade, but I suspect it wasn't quite as popular with the masses as it was with those critics.

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

Pan's Labyrinth is outstanding, it got Del Toro The Hobbit gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted