1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tickets from Craigslist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Anyone ever bought tickets off Craiglist?

I'm looking for Cubs tickets for next weekend. I've checked Stubhub, eBay and cubs.com. Craigslist had a good price for a set of four.

I guess I'm a little concerned about getting scammed.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I bought tickets off CL one time and didn't have any problems. The guy actually e-mailed me the tickets and was able to confirm their existence before I sent him some money via Paypal.

If you're doing it by mail, I think that can be risky. In person, cash-for-tickets exchange is the best way.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I have, worked out great.

Bought a four pack off there for the Tribe/Yankees bug playoff game last year. My buddy asked me if I wanted to go cuz he could get bleacher tix for $70 from a guy from work. I thought I did want to go, but that I could find something cheaper.

Some guy on Craigslist had a set of four in the upper deck behind home plate for $250. I emailed the seller to find out if he had any left, telling him I needed just two. He writes back saying they came to him in a PDF file and he didn't know how to separate them so he wanted to sell them all together. Couple hours later he writes back and says he'll sell me all four for $200. Good deal; I took it, figuring I could unload the other two if we couldn't find anyone else to take them.

This was the day before the game. Guy that I was buying from lives in Houston. The email I had for him was his work email. His name was on the work website with a phone number. I trusted it enough to PayPal him the cash. Being PDFs, you could send those out to 50 people. First one to the ticket gate would get in. This guy was legit though, my tix worked.

Next morning I went on Craigslist to sell my other two. Put them on sale for $75 each. Within two hours I had 15 inquiries. Sold them to the first response. Could probably have sold them for $100 each if I held out.

Anyway, it all worked out on both ends for me. I advise if you are dealing with someone on there, get some personal contact info so you can identify the person you're buying from. Unless you're meeting them in person (and even then you have to hope they show up), it's kinda tough to trust they are on the up and up.

4. I bought Cowboys-Packers tickets off CL last year and didn't have a problem.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Any legitimate means to duck the StubHub gouge is worth a bit of extra work.

Bastards.

Draft saved Draft deleted