1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tick Tock T.O.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JBHawkEye, Jul 29, 2006.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has been posted here or anywhere else on the board.

AP is moving a glance every day on Terrell Owens' day at training camp. Unbelievable.

2. JBHawkEye

This is the first one.

Terrell Owens’ day in training camp
    Eds: This is the first of what will be a daily fixture throughout Cowboys training camp.
    OXNARD, Calif. (AP) — A look at Terrell Owens’ day in training camp with the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday.
    FRIENDLY FIRE I: Cornerback Terence Newman matched moves with Owens on a slant, breaking up a pass and drawing hearty congratulations from his teammates, as if Owens was still playing for the Eagles.
    FRIENDLY FIRE II: After safety Roy Williams made two crushing stops on running backs, a fan screamed, “Let off T.O.! He’s one of us now.” The tie-in: Williams was the defender who broke Owens’ leg in the 2004 season, leading to a comeback called “heroic” in Owens’ recent book.
    THEY CAME PREPARED: Dozens of fans wore their new No. 81 jerseys and several remembered Owens’ line “Get your popcorn ready” from his introductory news conference in Dallas. One sign read, “T.O. We Got R Popcorn” while another fan built a huge popcorn box, painting it in Cowboys colors with Owens’ initials and number on the side.
    T.O. SAYS: “I’m stress free at this point. I’m trying to get better each and every day.”

3. jps

jps Active Member

yeah. saw that -- already tired of it.
    Problem is, we've gotta run a Cowboys story. Hopefully they'll find something new to talk about soon.
    (**knows this is unlikely**)

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

He is the Tomkat/Brangelina of sports, especially to the Worldwide, which goes into a collective masturbatory frenzy at the mere mention of the letters "T" and "O"

I go into a singular channel changing mode the moment his name is mentioned on either SportsCenter or on the Herd et al

5. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Sorry, gotta post. Who freaking cares!

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Based on the subject, I thought we were going to start a pool of the date of his first meltdown. I've got the Thursday after the season-opening game.

7. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

Whatever genius thought this was a really cool idea that all the little podunk papers in the hinterlands will love should be taken out back and shot like Old Yeller.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Quit being angry and bitter... ;)

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's like the DMN gave the AP a T.O. virus.

10. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

Hey, I understand the frustrations from covering T.O. too much, but let me post this devil's advocate style response... AP moves a short glance on TO on a Saturday and it's a hot-button enough topic to get 10 or so responses here within like 12 hours. If the readers will enjoy it, I think its fine.

So, then, the question becomes how much would the readers enjoy this? My guess... I bet it was one of the best read parts of the Sunday sports sections across the country that ran it today. Maybe running it everyday would drive me just as crazy as the rest of you, but I gotta say, I bet readers enjoyed it.

11. JBHawkEye

If Terrell Owens is playing for the Bears, Rams, Packers, Chiefs or Vikings _ the teams in my area _ yeah, maybe I run it. But for my readers, who really cares?

12. JBHawkEye

In today's Tick Tock T.O., we find out that Owens "wore a long-sleeve undershirt and tights, making him the most insulated player. A few others covered their arms, but no one else had leggings."

Draft saved Draft deleted