1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thursday's 6 p.m. ET SportsCenter ... WTF?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 17, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

A guy damned near got killed on ESPN2 Wednesday night boxing.

At what f*cking point in the next day's prime-time broadcast are we going to get some discussion of that?

We're 20 minutes in and they are pimping Sunday's ESPYs. Will the anchors be hawking T-shirts in the next segment?

I'd rather jump in the shower with the TV than hear Rick Reilly flail around in another segment from The Open. Poor bastard.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but none of this really surprises you, does it?

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Nope. Finally got to it at 6:24 p.m. ... just a stumbling anchor voiceover then ... a commercial. No ESPN boxing analyst, no medical expert, nothin.'

4. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Well, it took them 25 minutes and it was the last story before the commercial break, almost as if someone in the studio saw your post and said, "Oh shit. We better get that story on the air like, now."

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well of course not. Why advertise the fact you broadcast the live near-killing of a man--and open yourself to potential protests by publicity seekers looking to exploit something, anything for 15 seconds of fame--when you can just promote the shit out of a show about yourself and the other beautiful people?

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My ESPN mobile phone didn't have shit about it, either.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Is this what Reilly is going to be doing from now on? Weak stand-up comedy in his suit and tie, with occasional forays into Plimptonesque antics? I know he allegedly will continue to write, for the Web site and the mag. But we know what happens to 90 percent of writers who end up getting face time on TV -- their writing production drops off significantly, in quantity, quality or both.

And God help us all if we have to endure for any length of time the endless teasers of "We'll have a unique take from Rick Reilly on the (fill in the blank event)..."

More Kenny Mayne, please, and less of this guy, if it's humor they're after.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Rick Reilly on-air stuff has been jaw-droppingly awful.

I mean, so bad it's hard to watch.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Didn't they already release the winners of the ESPYs on SportsCenter? What's the point of that?

10. Joe Williams

How 'bout a poll?

Which is worst?
    a) Rick Reilly on TV.
    b) Bill Simmons on radio or TV.
    c) Dan Patrick in print.
    d) Scoop Jackson in print or on TV.
    e) Your own pimply ass on radio or TV or in print.

11. WS

WS Member

anyone else catch Reilly's complaints of the Home Run Derby being filled with white players?

Sorry if I missed that on the HR Derby thread, haven't had time to look through it

12. Joe Williams

Buddy of mine called me up sputtering that night, ticked off at the PC-ness of that moranic statement.

Draft saved Draft deleted