1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thursday Trivia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 18, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The schedule finally cooperates and we're back to normal.

Same guidelines apply. We'll continue with the mix and match of sports, TV pop culture, history and music, of course.

1. At what Washington, D.C., intersection was Delores Landingham, President Jed Bartlett's administrative assistant, fatally injured by a drunk driver in a traffic accident? (Bonus: She'd just boght her first new car. What brand was it?).
    ANSWER: "18th and Potomac," the title of the episode in which she dies. I thought she had purchased a Subaru.

2. Who was the first major-league player to hit a grand slam off of Roger Clemens?
    ANSWER: Gary "The Rat" Gaetti.

3. Who was the backup crew for Apollo 11?
    ANSWER: Jim Lovell, Fred Haise, Jr., and William Anders. Haise made it up on Apollo 13, as did Lovell, who had already flown on Apollo 8.

4. Who are the only three college athletes to be named Sports Illustrated Sportsmen of the Year (note: the 1980 US Olympic hockey team doesn't count, as it was a team, not an individual, selection).
    ANSWER: Jerry Lucas, Terry Baker, and Chip Rives, a football player from Wake Forest who was honored for community service along with a bunch of others in 1989, I think.

5. This is a very tough one. Which Cleveland Indians' pitcher has the highest strikeouts-per-nine innings ratio in franchise history, of those who faced at least 1,500 batters (a decent sample size) while pitching for the Indians? (Here's a hint: It's not Bob Feller, Gary Bell or Barry Latman).
    ANSWER: Paul Shuey, 10.04 Ks per nine innings.

MUSICAL BONUS: According to Billboard Magazine, what was the No. 1 single in the United States on the Bicentennial, July 4, 1976?
    ANSWER: It was indeed "Afternoon Delight" by the Starland Vocal Band, an SportsJournalists.com favorite.

2. pretty sure lovell was on the Apollo 11 backup crew, but that's all I got.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

5.) Len Barker

Bonus: "Philadelphia Freedom"

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Dolores Landingham died at 18th & Potomac in her brand-new (guessing) Buick?

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

4. Terry Baker, Jerry Lucas and an athlete who cared.

6. 5.) Herb Score?

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Bonus: Complete guess, 99.8% chance of being wrong:

"Love Will Keep Us Together", Captain and Tennile

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

4. Roger Bannister?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

2. (total guess) Mike Piazza?

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

4. A complete guess: Magic and Bird?
    Does Phelps qualify as a college athlete?

11. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

BONUS: Wasn't SVB's nooner-plugging Afternoon Delight out around then??

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You'd think that people would have had enough of Silly Love Songs.

Girl I was dating at the time gave me that album. I met The Queen a few months later.

Draft saved Draft deleted