1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thursday Trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hello, we're back. Play or don't. Mostly baseball today, since it's that time of year.

1. Who did the Minnesota State Screaming Eagles defeat in the Pioneer Bowl to win the national championship?
    ANSWER: West Texas.

2. The Baltimore Orioles' all-time records also include records from the St. Louis Browns. Of players who played strictly in Baltimore, who is the franchise's all-time leading hitter (average)?
    ANSWER: Robbie Alomar, .312.

3. OK, an easier baseball question. What do Hall of Famers whose given first and middle names are Richard Michael and Leon Allen have in common?
    ANSWER: Goose is correct. Goose Gossage and Goose Goslin.

4. What player/coach earned a World Series ring with the 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates?
    ANSWER: Mickey Vernon. His reward for the Pirates' championship was managing the expansion Washington Senators in 1961.

5. Which pitcher who was active in the 2008 season has the most victories as a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates?
    ANSWER: Josh Fogg is correct, with 39 wins.

TODAY'S MUSICAL TRIVIA: Jim McCarty, Joseph Kubert, Earl Elliot and Johnny "Bee" Badanjek were otherwise known as ...
    ANSWER: They were the Detroit Wheels, of Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

5.) Jason Schmidt?

3. micropolitan guy

Jason Schmidt did not pitch in 2008.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

4. Bill Mazeroski?

5. micropolitan guy

;D

No but he's close, believe me.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Depends how you define active. Though he never threw a major league pitch, he was paid a shitpot of $$$ and went on multiple rehab assignments.

However, you be the boss, so now I'll go with my first instinct, one I initially ignored b/c while the Pirates suck all sorts of yak rectum, I figured they had to have an alum with more than 20 wins (rough estimate), the last of which were collected 15 years ago: Tim Wakefield.

7. micropolitan guy

Tim Wakefield won 14 games as a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates. The current active leader (ie, pitched in the majors in 2008) has more.

And yes, the Pirates suck. Why I chose them to be the subject of 40 percent of these questions is beyond me.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Didn't those dudes play with Mitch Ryder? Can't recall right offhand what they were called.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah I looked up Wakefield's wins after I posted it. Would have sworn he had double-digit wins in 1992.

I think I know the answer now, but I won't post it b/c I looked it up.

10. micropolitan guy

Can't mess with the Moddy. They were the Detroit Wheels.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Shit.
    I only get half credit. I knew it was the Detroit somethings.

12. Scouter

Scouter Member

5. Solomon Torres?

God, that's pathetic if it's true.

Draft saved Draft deleted