1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thursday Trivia V

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Feb 7, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, it's that day again. Play if you wish, or don't. Google research is highly discouraged.

1. Michigan has won more college football games (869) than any other Division I-A team. Which team did the Wolverines defeat for their first victory over a current four-year university or college?
    ANSWER: Albion, on Nov. 15, 1884, at Ann Arbor.

2. Before Tiger Woods, who was the last PGA golfer to be named the Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year?
    ANSWER: Lee Trevino is correct.

3. What was the site of the first televised football game?

4. Four No. 15 seeds have won opening-round games in an NCAA men's basketball tournament. Which schools are they?
    ANSWER: Richmond (Indiana), Santa Clara (Arizona), Coppin State (South Carolina) and Hampton (Iowa State) are correct.

5. What is the name of the trophy awarded for winning the Indianapolis 500?
    ANSWER: Borg Warner Trophy is correct.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

5. Borg Warner Trophy

4. Hampton, South Alabama

3. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Coppin State over South Carolina, 1997
    Richmond over Syracuse, 1991
    Hampton over Iowa State, 2001
    Santa Clara over Arizona, 1993 (or 1994, I can't remember)

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

1. Michigan has won more college football games (869) than any other Division I-A team. Which team did the Wolverines defeat for their first victory over a current four-year university or college?

Notre Dame

EDIT: Changed my answer.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

1. The Ohio State University

6. KYSportsWriter

2. Before Tiger Woods, who was the last PGA golfer to be named the Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year?

Lee Trevino -- 1971

7. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

How about some Ivy League team? Like Harvard?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'll say No. 1 is either Adrian or Albion

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

I believe the first televised college football game was in New York at Columbia University and I would say 1939. They did a couple of baseball games in 1939, and I think I remember reading about a football game. It was probably an Ivy League opponent, and I would guess Princeton.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I was in high school when Santa Clara pulled that off. I was at a friend's house, which didn't have cable. I watched it on a fuzzy TV signal we acheived through "rabbit ears."

I remember that night like it was yesterday.

I remember the day after, too - when all the TV stations were on Santa Clara campus and the surrounding area videotaping students who had slept drunk on their rooftops after partying. It was a hell of a scene.

11. KYSportsWriter

I was in middle school when Coppin State beat South Carolina. The principal at the time was a graduate of Coppin and was the only one to call the upset, at least in my area.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

3--Jack Nicklaus (1986)

Draft saved Draft deleted