1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three Tennessee football players arrested for armed robbery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 12, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually he can

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My questioning of whether they were suspended or not was hearing Kiffin and the AD say they were reviewing what happened before determining their status.
    Now I understand you don't want to yank their scholarships and have the thing turn out to be a case of mistaken identity and they end up on the other sideline next year - but it seems something like this wouldn't take much time to at least announce they were suspended indefinitely. It might be a moot point, but at least it appears you are taking some action.

Glad those guys enjoyed wearing orange.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't blame Lane. He's just trying to bring a little bit of the Raiders culture to Tennessee.

4. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I saw that and thought the exact same thing. He was awfully, awfully itchy.

To update, Nuke's the only one who hasn't posted bail. Mike Griffith of the KNS seems to agree that Janzen, or as I call him now, Deuce Jackson is gonna skate.

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/askgriff/2...s_keeping.html

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Stories like this make me realize you never really, truly know people the way you think you do. I've been knowing Janzen since he was an eighth-grader. I knew his (step)dad before I knew Janzen.

In all of my times I visited with Janzen, he seemed like a great kid with a solid head on his shoulders. Never came across as a thug or pothead or future criminal. Now this happens, to add to his suspension last week for (allegedly) failing a drug test.

I hope he gets the punishment he deserves, and at the same time, I hope he can truly learn from this mistake and try to follow a better path from now on.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I covered a kid back in the day who could have been DI - he was the kind of kid who just took over a game on defense. I realized he wasn't very bright and he seemed uncomfortable during interviews - but it still came as a shock when he was shot and killed in an attempted robbery (he was the one attempting the robbery) a year after he finished high school. I realized then that while we "know" these kids on the field, we have no idea what the rest of their lives are like.
    Jim Rome (I know, I know) brings this up when a well known athlete lands himself in trouble. He'll say the guys been a guest, been a great guest, but we never really know these guys.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

So what? So, let's dance!!

Seriously, I was just making an observation. I just hope he's not the prosecution's star witness, because he'd get carved up under cross-examination.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a mistaken identity issue here and this isn't the first transgression for Richardson.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And the kids can sue the school if they're acquitted.

After what happened at Duke I always assume a school errs on the side of what won't get them sued.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Florida fans apparently taking great delight in this, especially in regards to Richardson, the player Kiffin mistakenly accused Urban Meyer of commiting a recruiting violation. But why does this mean Kiffin is a bad judge of character? Wouldn't Meyer has signed Richardson? Wouldn't a bunch of other coaches?

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They can sue. They won't win. Fact remains is a coach can cut a kid off because he doesn't like the color shirt he's wearing that day.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The university administration can also throw the kids out of school any time they want yet all three are still enrolled. I don't see the UT president taking any heat for that.

The fact is that if the school tells Kiffin he CAN'T cut the guys because they don't want to get sued the guys don't get cut.

And if you think the university legal counsel isn't involved in this decision you're a fool. This isn't a call Kiffin gets to make on his own.

None of these kids will play for Tennessee again but the fact they haven't been thrown off the team - and out of school - doesn't mean the head coach is coddling criminals.

Draft saved Draft deleted