1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three Pittsburgh police officers were killed and two others were injured...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Apr 4, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner!

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

In all states, they should do all three.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Because gun enthusiasts and collectors might like to have them in their collection, no different than car enthusiasts who want to purchases automobiles which can hit 197 MPH and go from 0 to 60 in 10 seconds......

Again, why is it any of your business?

4. zagoshe

There should be only one background checks allowed -- "Has this person ever been convicted (not arrested, not pled down, not a misdemeanor, not had some vague restraining order filed by a jilted lover) of a felony violent crime?"

That is where it should begin and end.

This is still America, despite the attempts of some to destroy it.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So if that's background check, then you're in favor of making people undergo it before buying a firearm at a gun show or from another individual?

6. zagoshe

If that limited background check is what we are talking about -- I have no problem. But it doesn't take 24 hours (hence no need for silly waiting periods) nor should I have a limit on how many guns I can buy in a time period or even just a running total nor should there be very many limits on what types of guns I can buy.

And guess what -- people who want to buy guns to commit crimes and do so with a person-to-person purchase -- they aren't going to worry about background checks so closing these so-called loopholes might win some votes and appease a few soccer moms in suburbia, but they won't solve a thing.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What types firearms are being limited now? Are you in favor of removing the restrictions on Class III weapons (which are available to private citizens after an FBI check and purchasing a $200 permit)?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Their collection? You mean their fucking arsenal. Who buys an AK-47 to put in a freaking case as part of their "collection?"

And it's my business because some dumbass fucker like you might just decide to use his "collector's item" AK-47 to open fire in an area where I'm walking, shopping, or just hanging out.

If you want to hunt, great. First you get a hunting license...that ought to cost you a boat load of money because we might allow you to own a gun and you damn well ought to pay for that privilege.
    Then you are allowed to purchase ONE hunting weapon, if you pass a background check that says you are an absolute perfect citizen. If you have one fucking drunk driving, or disorderly person or any other minor offense, you do not own a fucking gun...EVER!

We are the only supposedly civilized country in the world that allows any fucking douchebag asshole who wants one to own a gun ... or 12.
    And we wonder how these incidents happen?

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

If "terrorists" were blowing up nine people one day at a mall, four more two days later at a church, 11 more the next week in a school, eight more in a nursing home four days later, I'm guessing we'd have a nationwide discussion - or panic - about what to do to stop it. New laws - like, I don't know, the Patriot Act - would be enacted in a matter of weeks, if not days.

But because these things happen randomly and because they happen with guns, we're supposed to shrug our shoulders and say, "Well, a crazy person would do the same thing with knives, or fertilizer!"

Meanwhile we'll keep reading about these stories and the only reason they'll ever fade from memory is because a similar atrocity with more fatalities is probably right around the corner to replace it in our minds and on the front pages.

10. zagoshe

Truth be told, I think if you have the cash and no felonies on your record, you should be able to buy whatever the fuck kind of firearm you want. And I definitely don't think firearms should be restricted at all - nor should there be a restriction as to how many bullets a cartridge can hold (I think it is nine here in my state).

But that's just me.

I understand the political correctness about it and the fact that my views on gun control are very extreme - so I can live with a ban on most automatic assault rifles and an instant background check for a handgun purchases if it makes the bleeding hearts among us sleep better at night.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I love it how some of you assholes rip on people who smoke for killing people with second-hand smoke yet embrace the fucking lunatics who are blowing away 15 people in a day because they have a right to own guns.

12. zagoshe

See, since politics are usually reduced to cutsey little phrases, let me throw this one at you - gun ownership is a RIGHT not a privledge......

You can't say that about many other things and well, like I said, this is still America and hysterical rants about how evil guns are probably won't pass most judicial sniff tests.....

And while we are at it -- please tell me what the Patriot Act would have done to stop Timothy McVeigh -- or anyone like him who decided to blow up a building with fuel and fertilizer?

Oh that's right, it couldn't have done anything except offer a tougher sentence, except, he was put to death which is likely about as stiff of a sentence as we can hand out in this country.

Draft saved Draft deleted