1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three names, Hall of Fame, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'll also throw this out there then — with all the PED questions and such, are we looking at a 30 year period 1980-2010, where the only first baseman/hybrid DH that is Hall of Fame worthy is Eddie Murray, Albert Pujols?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Della, that is what some are suggesting which is ridiculous. Unless you can find any evidence of Thome using, I don't see how you can hold it against him.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

My problem with Thome is that he was mostly a DH, and that he never did much other than hit HRs. Granted, it's going to be tough to keep him out because he has so many, but I don't think he's a first-ballot slam dunk.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If Thome gets to 600, he'll definitely go into the Hall. And 600 will become the new 500 for the voters, allowing them to more comfortably snub "one-tool" guys who fall short of the higher threshold. Of course, Thome might go in anyway.

Is Thome a significantly lesser player than Harmon Killebrew? Would Killebrew have wielded a glove so long if the DH rule had been around for him?

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

As does Thome. Those other four guys were also "one tool" guys by the earlier definition on this thread.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

All three of the first basemen were far superior defensively to Thome.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Thome has been in the big leagues since 1991, and full time since the 1994 season. He's only DH'ed regularly for the last five seasons, since Philly traded him back to the AL in 2005. I know the PED era has really skewed things, but his numbers suggest HOFer. He may not get in first ballot, but he'll be in by the second or third at the latest.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No, maybe, yes. Jury still out on Helton and possibly Berkman if he has a few bang-on years with the Yankees.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Berkman's only a rental for the Yanks.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

.404 career OBP.

Helton .424.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

If Berkman gets in, Dwight Evans deserves a spot in Cooperstown as well.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Dwight Evans had a season-high OPS of .937.

In 12 seasons, compared to Evans' 19, Lance Berkman has had six seasons with a higher OPS than that and his career OPS is .958, .021 higher than Dwight Evans' best season.

Dwight Evans was named to three All-Star games in 19 seasons.

Berkman has been named to five All-Star games in 12 seasons and counting.

In the postseason, Berkman has a .992 OPS, and batted. 385 in the 2005 World Series. Evans has a .758 career postseason OPS.

Draft saved Draft deleted