1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three dead in F/A18 jet crash.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Dec 8, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My family lived in that neighborhood when I was a kid (I was too young to remember), but yeah, I don't blame the military for being there, but I do wonder why a plane that was in trouble didn't just ditch into the ocean, or at least redirect to North Island NAS.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Miramar has dense population 30 miles north and south of it.

It is right in the middle of the population center of San Diego.

It was built in 1918 or so, but considering the SoCal population boom, you'd think they'd consider moving, at least up around Camp Pendleton.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Because apparently the pilot thought he could make it to land at Mirimar.

It's hard for me, sometimes, to make quick decisions moving at 120 knots. Hell, the simplest things like making the right radio call is damn tough when you have 100 things going on at once. I can't imagine how fast things come at you at 400 knots.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not sure there's anywhere to move to near Camp Pendleton, either. Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad -- a couple hundred thousand people live up there, too. And the beach cities creep up on you fast when you go up I-5 north of Pendleton.

The location of Miramar is not the problem. The problem is the reckless development right next to a freakin' air station! As I said, people move into an area with a military base and then complain that ... gasp ... the military has the gall to actually use the base. They should know the risks of the neighborhood and anticipate the problems with living there.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

This is akin to Chicagoans complaining about Midway when a jet skids off the runway. Or someone complaining about the noise when they live by an airport. Or the sirens when they live by a hospital.

It's not hard to figure out the inherent dangers/annoyances that come with living in those types of areas.

Twice I've lived by airports. The first was a small county airport. The summer was particularly annoying when a single-person thing would fly around with a high-pitched buzzing noise. Part of living by the airport.

The second one was a regional airport with a national guard base. Can't tell you how many times I felt like a big cargo jet was "buzzing the tower" with the tower being my house. This accident very possibly could have happened in my neighborhood then. Fortunately it didn't, but it's the inherent risk.

Shit, you don't gotta live by an airport though for that to be a risk.

6. DanOregon

My thoughts were already with the family and pilot, but now I have a better appreciation for humanity after hearing this from the mourning father and husband:
    SAN DIEGO, California (CNN) -- A Korean immigrant who lost his wife, two children and mother-in-law when a Marine Corps jet slammed into the family's house said Tuesday he did not blame the pilot, who ejected and survived.
    Dong Yun Yoon addresses reporters Tuesday, a day after a jet crashed into his home and killed four of his relatives.
    "Please pray for him not to suffer from this accident," a distraught Dong Yun Yoon told reporters gathered near the site of Monday's crash of an F/A-18D jet in San Diego's University City community.
    "He is one of our treasures for the country," Yoon said in accented English punctuated by long pauses while he tried to maintain his composure.
    "I don't blame him. I don't have any hard feelings. I know he did everything he could," said Yoon, flanked by members of San Diego's Korean community, relatives and members from the family's church.

Anytime I think humanity is going into the crapper, I'll think of Mr. Yoon. God bless him.

7. So if I move near an airport, I should expect the occasional airplane to fall out of the sky and kill five of my neighbors?
    Oh, oK.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Um, no. But you have to be aware of the possibility.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You shouldn't?

10. DanOregon

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Here's the audio transmission between the pilot and air traffic controller:

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2009/03/03/military/za1c011dce4788c908825756a005c1a95.txt

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted