1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thread started to share a cartoon, but has turned into a "happy holidays" debate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ondeadline, Dec 16, 2007.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Re: Enough of the PC "Happy Holidays" stuff!

Attended college on a campus whose population was about 35 percent non-Christian. Can't think of another time when I felt smaller other than the time I said "Merry Christmas" to a Jewish acquaintance (didn't know he was Jewish, honestly), who then humbly informed me he did not celebrate Christmas. Didn't make a big deal about it, just said "Um, sorry, but I don't celebrate Christmas."

I corrected myself and since then I have erred on the side of caution and said "Happy Holidays." Just didn't like the way I felt for assuming he celebrated Christmas and don't want to feel that way again.

2. Re: Thread started to share a cartoon, but has turned into a "happy holidays" de

People should just be content that I'm wishing them a happy anything. :)

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I work in a pretty multi-cultural place: about half the people working there are Muslims, Hindus or Sikhs.

At our "Christmas party" a few years back our born-again douchebag VP decided to say grace before dinner and then proceeded to ramble on about how thankful we should all be that God sent Jesus along to save us.

Talk about embarrassing.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If somebody wishes me a Merry Christmas, am I out of line responding by wishing them a Happy Channukah? Though I am Jewish, the sentiment is far more important to me than the words, but I can't resist being a smart ass. But is that over the top?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you're Canadian, just say 'Happy Boxing Day" :)

6. Re: Thread started to share a cartoon, but has turned into a "happy holidays" de

None of it matters. All it is is a seasonal way of saying goodbye. No one gives a shit if anyone else has a happy Christmas, merry hannukah or felonious Kwanzaa. If you're worried about it, just say See-ya.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I worked retail for the past couple of years, and I gave this subject about 12 seconds of thought. I decided rather than say "Merry Christmas" and have someone spout off about how glad they were that I wasn't afraid of those PC bullies, or say "Happy Holidays" and have someone spout off about how I must be afraid of those PC bullies, that I'd just keep saying "Have a good day," like I did the other 330 days of the year. Never had any problems. When someone chose to say one of them to me, I'd just respond with, "You too."

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What do you say during the other 35 days of the year?

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Why not? It seems par for the course around these parts.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Jingle Bells is safe. But Silent Night was always a tough one for me...felt very uncomfortable having to sing about Christ the savior. I would have to agree that songs about Jesus don't belong in school.

I recall the last time we had this debate, someone said saying 'Merry Christmas' to a non-Christian is like saying 'Happy Birthday' to other people on your own birthday.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Merry New Year about covers it all.. I just won't say Happy Holidays...

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OK, maybe you draw the line at Silent Night, but how Jingle Bells, Deck the Halls, Frosty the Snowman and Santa Claus is coming to town is "offensive" is beyond me... And absolutely any "Pageant" should also include a Hannukah song... Even as someone who was raised Catholic, if a teacher asked me as a 10-year-old if I wanted to sing Adam Sandler's Hannukah song or Jingle Bells, I'd go with the Hannukah Song...

It would make a lot more sense than watching a bunch of six-year-olds sing some song about a penguin...

Draft saved Draft deleted